Disco CV Joint U/S?

Evening all

I *think* my drivers side CV joint is on the way out but not 100% sure and would like to hear other comments/suggestions.

It started off earlier this week with a slight hollow metallic rattle only occuring occasionally, not associated with any bumps in the road or anything like that - just rattling every now and then - I thought at first it may have been one of the rear brake pads if the retaining spring had broken but seems to have developed rather more severely now. The noise now is present about 75% of the time, only when driving, not stationary. It seems to be coming from the front drivers side and can be anything from loud rattling, clicking and when I take my foot off the pedal a high pitched whining of metal on metal. It is not giving out the usual failed CV joint knocking on full lock left or right. It can give quite a loud clank when taking up drive every now and then.

My thoughts are primarily CV joint or something further back in the drive train, differential possibly but it will drive without needing diff-lock.

Why do these things always happen just before important events!!!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ward

If its worse when turning one way rather than another it could be a grumbling wheel bearing. Might be worth checking if the lock nuts have become loose. Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

Fairly sure its not the wheel bearings - theres no play in the wheel and it just doesnt give the right feel for it to be those. Still they have to come off to get to the CV joint anyway so we shall see!

Checked the web last night for prices on a disco ABS CV joint - Paddocks, Craddocks, Kaid and someone else who I can't remember right now all had them listed as 48-50GBP. Unfortunately BLRS is my nearest place who only do them at 75 plus the dreaded :-( The credit card's 88quid worse off now!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ward