Open fires

Hi

Do any of you guys use wood fires for a brew when your out playing?

John ------------------------------------- O C Outdoor

--------------------------------------

Reply to
John-news-group

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, John-news-group at snipped-for-privacy@123ZZE.CO.UK wrote on 8/11/04 7:52 pm:

We take our storm kettle everywhere. It lives under one of the rear seats in the back of the Discovery. We use drift wood mainly as we're usually on the beach when we use it.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I keep a small amount of ready chopped up pallet to use in mine. Once you get the fire going they're amazingly quick to boil, can't beat a fresh cup of tea.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Fires are not allowed in the areas I'm usually working, and I find it quicker and easier to use the gas stove in the back.

But if I had one of those volcano things (I think they are called that) then I'd likely use it for tea making and pot-noodles when out and about.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Kelly Kettle

I'm hoping not to seem cynical about the OP - given the link he includes in his .sig - but the benefit of the Kelly kettle is that it's kin quick to boil, the fire is contained with a base that you can stand on a few bits of (level) wood to prevent damage to the surface (grass etc) you're boiling up on, and it uses an unbelievably small amount of fuel to achieve a boil.

Also, being an 'all in one' you don't need to carry an extra kettle to put on top of the fire, erm, hence Kelly Kettle I guess... :-)

Reply to
Mother

John-news-group vaguely muttered something like ...

Yes.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yes, despite his firespout packing flat (did that make his post UCE?) you still need to carry a kettle, the kelly kettle has its own little combustion chamber which inserts into the kettle for traveling. Being a "rocket" elbow type burner the air intake can be oriented to make use of prevailing wind.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Mother wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's the one! Another genius Irish invention.

My mother (95) still goes on about the little shelf that clips on the side of a frying pan I brought back from Ireland years ago (and since lost -- or more probably stolen!).

Park your snags, bacon, or fried bread on the "shelf" while the eggs are frying and they are nicely drained and kept hot when the eggs are ready.

But where can I get another??

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Try any branch of John Lewis Partners - kitchenware, about 8 quid.

I have one, yep they're handy - got it from the Bijenkorf department store next to Dam Square - one of my better Amsterdam purchases :-)

Reply to
Mother

- one of my better Amsterdam purchases :-)

...and one of the few allowed back in the country....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {m} @"@101fc.net wrote on 9/11/04 12:17 pm:

That's the one. I've seen them advertised as storm kettles somewhere, but we've a Kelly Kettle.

Leaves space for the teapot! I hate tea made wit teabags in cups. We also have some of those Aladdin insulated mugs with the lids although Bruce is the only one who ever uses a lid. He wont drink tea unless its really hot. We even use the mugs at home. I got fed up of Bruce not drinking his tea after it had been standing for a couple of minutes. He also complained if you gave him a china mug or one which he considered wide - as it would go cold even quicker. The other big factor in using the insulated mugs was that the kids couldn't smash them.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

In news:BDB6E5E6.12726% snipped-for-privacy@ntlorld.com, Nikki Cluley blithered:

Nah, just means they couldn't be bothered to try, there is no such thing as kid proof

Reply to
GbH

in article 41920675$0$3994$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, GbH at Geoff snipped-for-privacy@IEE.ORGasm wrote on 10/11/04 12:15 pm:

I agree. Its just takes them much longer to destroy them. I remember one weekend(Sat morning) where I had been and bought 6 mugs that I had 0 mugs left by Sunday tea time. Isaac has managed to break handles off them when he's chucked them, but the best way to destroy them is to leave one on the floor behind the wheel of the Discovery, as you are getting ready to hitch it up to the caravan. £1.47 each in Asda compared to £3.49 at local caravan shop and last at least 12-18months if not longer!!!

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Of course. I light it with diesel.

...and I probably don't need to mention this, but just in case anyone wants to tell me what a bloody stupid idea that would be, glance briefly at the Disco 3 threads.... ;-)

Reply to
Torak

I wouldn't mind lighting one of them with diesel - possibly to mark the death of styling.

In case I haven't said it already.....

The damn thing looks like a Rangie was rammed by a TD5 disco from behind and then the entire mass was beaten with an ugly stick while being fed ugly pills and smeared with ugly lotion.

Yuk.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Diesel takes a bit of lighting. I wouldn't call it safe, but neither is it "bloody stupid" by default.

Reply to
David G. Bell

For me there is the surplus from my camper conversion as ready fuel.

Reply to
Larry

I have a nice insulated stainless steel mug which I take everywhere with me, and I mean everywhere. It has a caribiner clip for a handle.

Reply to
Larry

Tis half way toward being adapted to be a still to be sure :)

Reply to
Larry

So "David G. Bell" was, like

Agreed. Compared with most other fuels, diesel is pretty safe. Ask any boat owner.

Reply to
Richard Brookman