Engine fires in WRX's

I posted about this before, but you didnt believe it (boneheads) Go look up NHTSA complaint # 04V473000. I quote " Cover bolts(the oil control valve) may not be sufficiently tightened, resulting in engine fires when the leaking oil comes in contact with high temp components" I guess the factory donkey's cant use a torque-wrench or the cars ARE assembled with slipjoint pliers.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Whether your point's true or not, you think calling the group "boneheads" and the people who assemble the cars "donkeys" helps your case?

Maybe somebody can wave their wand and say the magic words... "Raaa... stis... faaa... foofnik!" and "poof!" you'll disappear.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" wrote in news:eg% ad.12266$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Potentially 26 vehicles affected out of the thousands sold in 2004. What's your point? Recalls are fairly common and all the auto manufacturers have had POTENTIALLY serious problems corrected. For example Chrysler just recalled 1.2 MILLION minivans for an airbag problem .

Here are the details of the Subaru recall:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years: SUBARU / BAJA 2004 SUBARU / FORESTER 2004 SUBARU / IMPREZA 2004 Manufacturer : SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V473000 Recall Date : SEP 27, 2004 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Potential Number Of Units Affected : 26 Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE COVER BOLTS FOR THE ENGINE OIL CONTROL VALVE MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENTLY TIGHTENED, ALLOWING OIL TO LEAK FROM AROUND THE COVER GASKET. Consequence: IF LEAKING OIL CONTACTS COMPONENTS OPERATING AT HIGH TEMPERATURES, A FIRE COULD RESULT IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND RETIGHTEN THE OIL-FLOW CONTROL VALVE COVER BOLTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OCTOBER 10, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

You'll have to ignore him. He is still pissed at having his Ford womped by a WRX

Reply to
FNO

Thanks for posting...anyone have info on what the "oil control valve" does, and where it's at? Nevah heard of such a beast...

Reply to
CompUser

No idea, but when I find out it may help me cure a multitude of ancient motor cycles too!

Reply to
hippo

Oil pressure switch / relief valve?

04STi:
Description.pdf
Pressure Switch.pdf Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply) Video & Gaming:
Gadgets

Hmmm...maybe it's just poor choice of terminology on Subaru's part, calling it a "control" valve...the "pressure switch" looks like what we commonly call a "send unit" in US, it's just a pressure sensor, basically...so that shouldn't be it, but who knows. I didn't see anything else in the pdfs that sounded like a "control" valve. Semi-annoying, too, I just happened to be in my dealership a couple of days ago (it's a 120 mile round trip), and no one mentioned it!

Reply to
CompUser

I looked it up, Dr. Fafoofnik. No such number in NHTSA data base...and their search engine doesn't come up with anything when you ask about Subaru engine fires.

I think you might be full of Fafoofnik!

Reply to
K R Larkin

Subaru has a long history of making up their own names for commonly named parts. I recall a thread from a while back discussing just that. All I remember was a Nixon-era service manual that referred to the turbo wastegate as a "watergate" or something like that. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Are you BLIND "Larkin"??? others HAVE found the article I referred to. Just keep driving, when you see smoke and flames from under the hood you might think Dr. Fafoofnik MIGHT have given you the straight scoop (you idiot)."Slander and lies" yeah right, read ALL the posts here BEFORE getting all excited that a person said something non-complimentary about your crappy Subaru.I just read a interesting report in a driver magazine, listing the 10 quickest FACTORY production cars in the WORLD (not just the US ofA) and Subaru was not on the list (imagine that). But I did see a few american cars and other imports.

You just keep driving that window squeaking, grinding transmission, slipping clutch, gurgling, A/C wont work at stoplights, battery not charging around town, ABS brake failing, paint peeling, engine fires,piss-poor resale value, rebuild engine in 4 year pile of recycled beercans. Keep telling yourself this is a RACE CAR and that this shit is normal for a car in this class (trying to not laugh).I bust out laughing each time I see one with that stupid "Whaletail" on it hahahaha.

Whats REALLY funny is when squids( like YOU Larkin) bring these cheapo cars to the drag strip on "Run what you brung" nite. The tree goes green, all you hear is mousefarts(that 4 inch trashcan exhaust really adds horsepower hahaha),the clutch can't handle the load so the driver burns the shit out of it. The other cars are out of the hole a LOT FASTER. By the time the Subaru wakes up, the street stock Camero(legal too),Mustang 302,American Muscle car is gone! While it IS true your little beercans will smoke a Honda Civic, a Prelude,a Titan pickup truck,a Kia Sephia and even a 245Hp Altima... however IT'S NO MATCH for a car with a real engine on a dragstrip.Forget about even thinking of running a motorcycle, even a 883 Harley Sportster will smoke your ass. Your subarus are pathetic

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

I don't see many vehicles with figures like 0-100 (kph) in the early

4's, bog standard using bowser fuel, whilst retaining a 100,000k warranty, with consumption figures similar to the average shopping trolley. The STi does that. Any others?

-- GW

Reply to
GW De Lacey

I have been driving Subarus since 1979.

My current ride is a heavily modified 98 Outback Sport, with a 2.5 RS engine.

Now although my ride is fast and very torquey I don't bost that I can beat the mustang GT or Camro on the strip. But when ever anyone challenges me I remind them the the Subaru is really built for rallying. I then invite them to race me down one of our deep woods dirt roads nearby where I live. For those that accept, I blow them away. They can't accelerate in the dirt, they can't hold the corners, and they have very poor stablilty. So lets not compare apples and oranges.

The Subaru is a well built, well engineered vehicle. I have had 10 of them and I have driven them all over 250,000 miles with routine maintainance. It used to be that on a quiet night you could hear them rust, but not any more.

Now the STI is a differant animal. If I had one I would accept any chalange from the Mexican and Canadian made mustangs and cameros. My freind has one and recently left a Chevy SS with a 396 big block in his dust. By the time the SS stopped spinning its rear wheels the STI was already half way down the quarter mile strip.

I also worked as a technician for six years. Two at a Ford garage and the remainder at a Subaru garage. Any guess as to which garage had the most non routine repairs. Yup, the Fix Or Repair Daily one.

Subarus rock.

By the way, I never heard of a Sube blowing up with a gas tank fire from getting hit from behind. Not so Ford! Anyone remember the Pinto?

Reply to
schema

Steady on old bean, I'm on *your* side.

;)