OT Com port user indentification

Good point! I disabled the modem in device manager so its not using resources, but still no joy with com1

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Good idea also, no joy immediately, but I'll try re-booting later, never a quick job rebooting XP!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

In article , Andrew T. writes

Do it in the BIOS if you can, and then try.

Oh and do trim your postings, there's a good chap.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Could also be the infra red port taking com1 - laptops are notorious for com port seizures. I usually give up on trying to identify what's on Com1 & use Com2 instead, or Com3, or Com4 ...

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Yes, I'll try from the BIOS, I was not sure if the device manager disable "really" disabled it.

And I'll remember to trim! (sorry!), I'm posting from google groups so not so easy to see how the post will appear.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

thats Mickeysnots retro-feel applet makes you feel like you are booting Dos3.3 on an 8086 machine wow ! thats huge a whole 360k 5 1/2" inch diskette for the OS I just have time to make the coffee. "whirr chuff chuff whine chuff etc etc" Derek

Reply to
Derek

I still have a P90 PC running only Dos 6.2 I have to use occasionally, it never fails to amaze me how fast it boots up or shuts down (power switch!!), we are getting too used to the non-speed of windows.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

The biggest disservice microsoft has done to this world is to make massive inefficiency the accepted norm, I bought an LG DVD player recently that takes a ludicrous 2 minutes to fully boot up to the point you can actually open the drawer!. Greg

Reply to
Greg

once installed win 3.11 on a PII for a laugh. Wonder how dos 6.2 runs on a p4 3gig

Reply to
Vertuas

It was probably running XP Embedded internally! lol

Reply to
Vertuas

Yes its getting worse roll on Ubuntu now that is amazing even off a cd it boots faster than XP - then again I still have a sealed pack of mickysnot dos 6.? and windows for workgroups 3.11 deep in the drawer of lost diskettes I think the manual is in there as well plus god alone knows how many copies of word, works and office.I sold one lot ( of 3.11 6.3) on fleabay it fetched over a tenner. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around 19 Apr 2007 01:04:01 -0700, "Andrew T." enlightened us thusly:

You can get amazing results with windows 3.1 on a modern machine.

running XP pro here on 2 machines, one a sempron 2500 and one a sempron

2800. the latter has 1.5GB ram, the 2500 "only" 1GB. Both are OK for speed, but not exactly blistering. Mind, a chap I know who knows about these things says the 32 bit athlon is better than the sempron for XP, I forget why, it's some technical aspect involving the way it uses caches or something. so I might try to pick up some socket A athlons before they disappear.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:39:59 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

I've got 3.11 for workgroups on floppies, also got one of the dos versions on 5¼" floppies, but I've not got a 5¼" drive any more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is Andrews serial sorted now?

Reply to
Vertuas

No!, I disabled the on-board modem (com3) in the Bios, so now XP does not even see it, but still no joy. When I get more time I'll do some more tests, but I suspect it could be buggered, it would not surprise me (its a Dell laptop!) and I'm always connecting too many strange things to my com ports, and sometimes I get "power supply conficts" with my devices attached, when I forget to use different 24v supplies to the PLC's I have connected to different ports (makes the transformers chatter!)

To repeat one of my early posts, this is what I had originally configured:-

Com 1 - on board port Com 2 - not present Com 3 - on board modem uses it Com 4 - usb com port Com 5 + 6 PCMCIA brainboxes card Com 7 - EIB bus port Com 8 - RS485 port

Cheers for all the suggestions though,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

keep your eyes open on

they sell off XP's now and again got a 3200+ for a little over £30 nearly bit his hand off at the price. Just a thought though didn't they re-brand some of the last 32bit XP's as Semprons?Derek

Reply to
Derek

Well that about it with the hardware then, the only other thought I had was my machine always tries to connect/sync to my pda via com1 ( it uses usb in fact) which as they say we dont have so when I do a file search it checks the port for the pda and pops an error message -device not available.I have got to confess to being a windoze CE n00b though as long as it works IDGAFF.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Better L2 cache is the difference. My 32 bit Athlon absolutely kills my son's "identical" rated Sempron in real world use.

Reply to
EMB