OT - Computer Workout

Background

Bought a few cheap computers from ebay and most were alright but one developed some instability after a few weeks (unexpected shutting down, freeze on boot etc - pretty sure its a hardware (MB?) fault). Seller (reasonably) in my opinion would not refund or excahnge, as they were bought cheaply second hand, and we had had it for 6 weeks before deciding it was u/s.

Have now bought another batch, and want to give them a good workout as soon as they are unpacked. to hopefully identify any faults.

Can anyone suggest I can leave running for a couple of days which might hopefully identify / highlight any problems.

"Windows XP" whilst funny, is not the answer I'm after!

David

Reply to
rads

You can get some system test software, which will basically cane the hard disk, graphics etc, and monitor the results.

Google 'Benchmark Software' and it will return some trials im sure.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Make sure all the fans are clean & working, overheating processors often cause peculiar faults.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Nod.

But this one will sometimes fail on a cold boot.

If I knew what I was talking about I might suspect an intermittent connection (dry joint / crack) actually on the motherboard (all leads, ram chips, processer have been reseated).

But I don't!

Actually written the problem one off now, just damage limitation for the future.

David

Reply to
rads

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

There are a lot of burn in test programs have a look at

a 24 hour load test ( overnight in the real world ) will show up the shortcomings I did have an engineers set but I have no ideas as to where it went. Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Tue, 01 May 2007 16:39:40 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

sometimes this can be iffy RAM, either a RAM module on the way out or crud in the sockets. worth cleaning it out and reseating 'em.

install BOINC and get it processing one of the distributed computing projects. Found various errors on my systems by this means. My favourite is still SETI but there are others like the climate ones that give the machine more of a workout, it seems. get very few computing errors from SETI, but one of the climate ones fell over every time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 01 May 2007 17:51:44 GMT, " banjo" enlightened us thusly:

actually, I noted that on this one here. Power supply under-spec, I think, in the end - put a new larger one in and it's behaved since. It had developed a habit of resetting when asked to spin up the DVD drive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

SETI@Home killed my pc.........fried processor.....could be something to do with running at 100% all night when i forgot it was switched on.....oooppps

Never gonna install SETI again

Reply to
vertuas

Wooo. I have a bunch of machines in the office that do volunteer work for the Large Hadron Collider project over night and they never give any trouble.

PCs normally fry when the fan stops. Cheap fans are the bane of all things evil. You rarely get to them in time to save anything and mending PCs is a waste of time. Once they get a taste for repairs the demands get more and more frequent. If they fail give them to the office geek to strip then heave them in the trash. Put the fear of God into those left in the office.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt