OT: concrete sectional garages

I've been looking at garages on ebay as theyre a lot cheaper on there than buying them new.

Can anybody tell me how long the concrete sections are (they are 2 foot wide) and how much they weigh?

I'm tryng to work out how i could move a garage. I'm thinking that they are probably too long to fit in a LWB landy, so it would probably be easier to hire a van?

next - will i be able to fit the sections in a normal van? I'd be happy to do multiple trips to spread the weight. Any idea what sort of money i'm looking at to hire a van for a couple of days?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've an idea they're 6ft - although the seller should be able to confirm. Posts may be longer.

Haven't done it for a while, but I can tell you this: the bigger the van/truck you hire - the better value for money you get, although you may be looking at a substantial deposit for the larger variety.

I'd get something with a tail-lift and bring a trolly to do that job.

Being older now and (ocasionally) wiser, I'd be tempted to get a quote from the local 'man & van' too.

Reply to
William Tasso

William Tasso uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Lots of people give them away buyer to dismantle / remove.. worth looking!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

hmm, wonder what it would cost to get somebody with a small truck to shift a whole (in pieces) garage on it.

most of the ones on ebay are like that. They seem to go for £1-£300 depending on what they are like and the size and roof construction and if they are already dissassembled.

A new single car concrete garage goes for about £1000 (Delivered and erected, mind) up to about £2000 for a bigger one.

Reply to
Tom Woods

They usually come in either 6ft or 7ft, depending on the height of the garage. As for weight, two people can lift a 7ft section, as the one we had was manhandled off the back of a 17tonner by two guys. In fact the truck didn't have a hiab fitted, so they're obviously used to doing it this way, as these guys do it all day every day.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The one I took down they were 6ft and seemed over 50kg. Also they were spalled as the building was probably 40 years old. All the bolts were Whitworth and in remarkably good nick.

The roof was asbestos cement so would incur a disposal cost and couldn't be re used.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Some domestic sites will take that with no problems - "asbestos cement" is not hazardous, according to the asbestos disposal consultants we engaged at work - it needs handling carefully, but doesn't release free fibres of anything nasty.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I expect so but they aren't required to as all building waste is controlled whether from DIY or commercial. It is also a hazardous waste once you take it off a roof.

I know but I was pointing out it shouldn't be reused, so a new roof could be a factor.

AJH

Reply to
AJH