(OT) old magazine called 'Commando'

I'm trying to track down a copy of an old magazine called 'Commando', published in the UK in the '60s and '70s, apparently my late uncle Robert Mackay inspired one of the stories.

The usual searches on Google, Ebay, etc have turned up nothing. At this stage even the name of the publishing house would be a start.

Any ideas?

Sorry this is totally off-topic.

Dunno if it's the right one, but the only "Commando" I can remember from that time period was a "Stories for boys" comic book which was published by DC Thompson of Dundee.

I think it's actually still in print - it used to advertise that some of the stories were true, but most of them were 1940s jingoism carried on 3-4 decades too late.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I remember them, I had loads my dad bought them for me he always had to read them first though try

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

try

instead amazing where the missing 's' takes you

Andy

-- SWB Series 2a ( dressed as a 3) "Bruce" It's big it's mean it's really really green

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

I don't recall seeing it recently...

As I recall, it was a smaller page format than most comics, more like a booklet. Monochrome "realistic" art. It would not surprise me if a story appeared several times over the comic's lifespan.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I've got a stack of them up in the loft. They were going for quite a long time.

What's the story called, I'll have a look see. Chance in a million tho.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

As you say, a chance in a million, still. Here's the story.

During the Second World War my uncle (Parachutist Robert Mackay. Scots Guards. Service No. 2698040. Prisoner of war No.138749) was held in a prisoner of war camp in Chiavari, near Genoa, Italy. While attempting to break out with a small group of men, they spotted a problem, a small wooden guards hut that looked out over a patch of open ground. The open ground had to be crossed but they knew they would be seen by the guards in the hut. They needed a diversion. One of the group (possibly my uncle) threw open the door of the guards hut, shouted something at the guards inside, mimed pulling a pin out of a grenade with his teeth and rolled the grenade into the hut under the table. Panic ensued, and in the confusion the men slipped across the open ground. Needless to say it was not a real grenade it was just a rock, but to the guards, in a small enclosed space it must have been terrifying.

Unfortunately the escape was not successful, they were all recaptured and spent the rest of the war in various Italian prison camps. My uncle never fully recovered from the beatings he received in the camps and died some years later. His son joined his late father's regiment, the Scots Guards, and fought in various conflicts including the Falklands.

I never heard this story first hand from my uncle, both he and my father rarely spoke about the war, so I'm not sure that I remember it all correctly.