OT slightly re: chassis or no chassis

LR 110 has chassis ? Fiesta has not ? I thought cars nowadays had sub chassis or simply monocoque design. Daughter reckons cars still ahve chassis, trouble is so sdoes friend of hers 30yr old Ford mechanic ! Who's right ? (oh pleeeze let it be me or I can't show my face again and eat s..t )

Reply to
Hirsty's

LR 90 / 110 / 130 Chassis like most 4wd/off-road vehicles and pick-up trucks. LR Freelander monocoque Fiesta Monocoque like most or maybe all post war sedan's Some exception, the old Beetle and Citroen 2CV. They had a chassis but not strong enough to keep it all up. Part of the body was also used to give some additional strength. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

(chassis)

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Almost all cars nowadays are monocoque design, very few have a separate chassis. I'd say you are right, and the 30yo Ford grease monkey is probably a bit young to actually know what a chassis is.

Reply to
EMB

Starbgely enough thats what I said but WW III Started with daughter so I left well alone. However i hate to be wrong so came to the real engineers ............... :-))

Don't think I'll buy Ford in future !!

Reply to
Hirsty's

Chassis is the frame on which a car or other vehicle is based. Originally used on all cars, it was integrated into the body starting with some models of Lancia about 1920, and this practice was gradually adopted by most manufacturers with the integration more or less complete for passenger cars by the 1970's, although there is some argument for cars where there is a separate chassis but most of the strength is in the body, such as the Citroen CX. Or the VW beetle and the Citroen D series where the majority of the strength is in a platform that includes only part of the body (mainly the floor). The term monocoque should strictly be used only where the body and chassis are completely integrated with all panels load bearing

- virtually no cars completely meet this criterion, although some are close. Despite this sort of argument the traditional chassis continues to be used, usually for vehicles where different bodies may be fitted, including full size four wheel drives such as the Landrover 90/110 or Toyota Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol, and American Style "pick-ups" as well as virtually all heavy goods vehicles. So-called "SUVs" are tending to move into integrated body/chassis construction as they become closer to mainstream cars. JD

Reply to
JD

"Hirsty's" wrote in news:1RsQd.1061$ZZ6.576 @newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

You're in the wrong newsgroup to say that :-)

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

True but wife has just ordered a Ford Ka ( bright yellow !!! ). We had a major disagreement about whether I should be insured on her new car when she got it; now I know what it is I dont think thats really a problem.

Incidentally on a serious note she reckons as I have Full Comp I can drive it with third party cover; however as far as I know that is'nt possible between spouses as they consider the property to be owned in common and therefore needs specified cover on the policy ??

Reply to
Hirsty's

It's the only colour to have!

Yes, my 110 is yellow :-)

Reply to
Simon Barr

So Erik-Jan Geniets was, like

Sorry, the 2CV had not a chassis but a floor-pan - a large roughly rectangular panel with stiffening ribs that everything bolted to, and was also basically the floor of the vehicle from engine to tailgate.

I had a big crash in one (my only so far, touch wood), head on with a Triumph Dolomite. The floor-pan bent until it was touching the ground in the centre. I thought the car would be a write-off, but the garage just lifted up the bodywork and engine, slid a new pan underneath and bolted it all back. Very Land-Rovery. It's why I still like them.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

2CV's seem to have the same sort of charm as old landies.

One of my friends drove me and a couple of other people round brighton in one. Over the speedbumps the boot would pop open and we'd have to stop and close it to stop the shopping falling out of the back. The only other vehicle anything like this that i have been in is a landy where tying the doors shut, window panes falling out on your lap, and bits dropping off is common.

Reply to
Tom Woods

More or less the same as the beetle. But the 2CV has to members over the length with 2 crossmembers. You can't see this in the center of the chassis because they closed it up and it looks like a box. The beetle has one member over the length of the chassis in the center. Also houses the gear levers, handbrake and heating cables. The convertible has his reinforcement (Karmann) in the body and not in the chassis. The chassis for both types are the same.

So they replaced the chassis. It is one piece. Not an easy job though. With the right tools it will take a day. Do it yourself it will take a week.

Je parle francais aussi mais je comprend rien de cette phrase...)*

Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

)* I do speak french but I do not understand what this means.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

So Erik-Jan Geniets was, like

I reckon a chassis has to be separate from the floor to be a "real" chassis. If not, it's half-way to being a monocoque. We could argue this all week! Let's agree to disagree. :-)>

Je parle francais tres bien: deux bieres, chop chop. That covers most things, I find. :-)

It's made of French words but it isn't French. To an English speaker, if you say it out loud it becomes "paddle your own canoe", an injunction to look after yourself and not expect help from anyone else.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

If not, it's half-way to being a monocoque.

I do not agree. So in a VW base dune buggy is becomes a chassis as wel as in a Citroen Mehari. It is still the same thing.

Agreed !

Got it. Funny. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets