OT: Tents...

.. I'm guessing the odd person in here is into camping, so just looking for a heads-up on what to look out for when buying.

Don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want something that falls down in the rain and wind at 4am just as you've fallen asleep, as happened last time I went camping about 15 years ago!! Looking at 2/3 pers sort of affair.

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

I've got (apart from the caravan) a five man Coleman dome, a 2 man 'proper' hiking tent that cost a fortune, and a Decathlon (Quechua) pop-up that cost £40 ... we now use the pop-up all the time, from 32 degrees in France to -5 in Pickering it's been brill.

In fact if we were to go camping again we'd buy a couple just as sleeping tents and maybe a free-standing canopy thing for 'living'.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

have some good deals on tents at the mo.

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

If the man says "ideal for festivals", run away.

Vango are good.

Hint: if you're transporting the tent in a Land Rover, it doesn't need to be small or light.

Reply to
William Tasso

I guess it depends on how much other s**te you need to carry into the environment of your choice.

We need (in outback Aus) to carry: 20l of water per person per day as a minimum (including safety margin), so any weight or volume saving is much appreciated.

I carry a small 2 (3 at a pinch) walking tent - the Salewa Sierra Leone 2 - everywhere I go. It's a good blend of indestructable-ness and light weight. (Thought those 'throw in the air - instant erection - tents do sound good!). One has been known to sleep in one's vehicle of course ;)

I guess the lesson is to carry the least amount of weight necessary - any excess can be taken up by what you actually need. Here, that means water and fuel. I'd rather have drinking water to spare, than to have a massive, canvas, tent-palace!

Reply to
asdf

These people make some good tents, not cheap though.

Everything goes nicely into a SWB or on the roof...

Reply to
William Black

Cool, and we've got Decathlon over here too - and seen Quechua elsewhere here too. I kindof wrote them of as being cheap and probably not that good, but I'll have another look! Sounds about right - not going to be used for major expeditions, just the odd weekend away in t' country....now...what else do I need?! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Nice - maybe a bit ott! lol.

Reply to
Matt M

Good site...too....many....things...to...buy..... @*§%$#...

...overload......!

Found a nice G4 tent on MM 4x4 website, but £165 + VAT is a bit OTT for me! Mind you, am planning on going to Morocco for a couple of weeks after the school holidays in the RR and having a play there in the wilds, so maybe I can justify it?!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

two types of cooker - we take one that uses petrol/coleman and another that uses gas - you don't want to find you can't get fuel for your type of cooker.

Fluids & sustinance plus associated paraphanalia (pans/plates/cups/cutlery)

Sharp knife

Torch(es) and/or Lamp(s)

Tooth brush

at least one complete change of clothes.

Sleeping bag and (very important for older bones) stuff to go under the bag.

not so essential (some might say - and depending on circumstance) # blanket(s) to go on to of the sleeping bag # pillow - a real luxury and space hog in the wagon # seating & table/bench - for food prep etc.

uhm sure there's more, but that will do for now. oh yeah ... for many, camping is only a means to an end (everyone's 2nd hobby, a bit like photography) so don't forget to allocate space for the stuff needed for your primary purpose (fishing/off-roading/climbing/canoeing/whatever)

Finally ... have fun :)

Reply to
William Tasso

In message , William Tasso writes

I'd forgo the gas and just take a multifuel stove - I use a MSR that runs on any oil based fuel from petrol to diesel (different jets for diesel) and is perfectly happy on white spirit, paraffin or aviation fuel. I also use a Kelly kettle - the best water heater in the world .

Pick the right pan set and your lid's your plate, your kettle or smallest pan's your cup and your bowl's another pan.

Vital.

At least 2 with spare bulbs batteries and mantles (if gas or petrol/paraffin) - Coleman do a fantastic micro gas lantern that I wouldn't be without, packs down to a 2x3" cylinder + gas bottle.

Preferably in a canoeist's dry bag - cheap and worth its weight in gold on a wet trip.

Thermarest mat's are fantastic, if pricey, infinitely better than close cell foam mats and very long lasting - I'm still using a 15 year old pair on car based trips with my wife (we've upgraded to the new ultra-lightweight versions for back-packing).

Get a decent bag - blankets really shouldn't be needed - I've camped at

-20 in the Alps in perfect comfort and been too hot in the UK at -10. Down's much better than synthetic if you can guarantee to keep it dry, but synthetic still works reasonably when damp - down doesn't (unless waterproofed first - nikwax down proof works very well for this)

I carry a pillow case and stuff it with spare clothes.

If you get Thermarest mats you can get a kit to convert the mat to a chair. If weight and space isn't an issue then any camping chair will do. I always carry a tiny chopping board - 8x10" of marine 5 ply - really helps make food prep easier, even if it's only sandwiches.

GOOD waterproofs - preferably breathable are essential in the UK IMO.

Absolutely - the whole purpose of camping.

HTH

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Went to Decathlon today and picked up a 2-man 2" Quetcha pop-up tent on Promotion for 23 euros! New sleeping bags for me and girls - great ones for them with integrated air bed in the back, few more bits, and a camping stove thing that was also on promo at 14 euros - that I later found out screws onto one of those 'medium' sized gas bottles, not the usual little ones you get for camping - looks big enough to roast the wild boar caught during the day! 3KW! Anyway, it'll all be transported in the Rangie, so don't have to worry about weight at least!!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M