OTish: Pinzgauer UK factory to close

BAe are shutting down the factories in Guildford and Farehem where what they call the Pinzgauer 1 (really the second generation) is made, retaining only 25 staff in Britain and New Zealand. The new Pinzgauer

2 will be manufactured in South Africa where there is apparently spare capacity.

Annoying that the brits bought it from the Austrians, started manufacturing in the UK, then sold it to the yanks who continued to build it in the UK, they then sell it back to the brits who promptly close down the factories and build them in South Africa. Presumably people can be paid a lot less over there.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In article , Ian Rawlings writes

Was that the old Dennis (fire engines) plant in Guildford?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

This sounds a bit odd.

The Pinz was being touted as the LR replacement when the 'Wolf' series falls to bits as the LR, and any foreseeable development, is said to be unable to be modified to carry what is now being described as 'a useful load'.

I honestly can't see the UK military buying a TKD kit from a foreign source for its primary light vehicle.

It doesn't give them the flexibility they tend to insist on from such a vehicle.

Unless there's something we're not being told, either about the replacement vehicle or the UK light vehicle requirement, or, just possibly, developments round at Lode Lane...

Reply to
William Black

I saw two of them on the M1 the other day, fair flying too.

Reply to
Nige

They need at least 25 staff here in NZ - the Pinz's the army bought have been nowt but a pile of trouble.

Reply to
EMB