Outrigger woes

1990 Defender 200Tdi County

All,

I have Reggie booked in for an MOT next week, so I thought I would do a quick check. Lights etc. are all nice and easy (and all work), so next I had a look at the outriggers (that's what Robert's 90 failed on).

All are OK except for the front offside, which is rotted through in several places. To make it worse, the chassis rail has also rotted where the outrigger faces on to it (but only on that face, other sides are solid).

What's involved in replacing an outrigger, how easy is it to get at to:

  1. Take the old one out; and
  2. Weld the new one back in!

of course in between 1 & 2 I need to plate the chassis!

It almost looks as if you need to either lift the body up (or remove it) as there isn't much space there.

Suggestion and advice welcome!

Cheers

Peter (Depressed of Trowbridge!)

Reply to
puffernutter

I've only ever done that on a IIA and a III chassis.

In both cases I needed to practically dismantle the front end to get the old outrigger cut off and the new one welded in place. Maybe I'm a crap welder but I tried to use a stick and then a mig but could not get at the top part of the chassis to make anywhere near an acceptable repair.

Reply to
no_one

I assume you're talking bulkhead outrigger? If so leave the top bit intact (which doesn't rot anyway) cutting it from underneath in line with the top outside edge of the chassis, then trim the new one off at the top to match, then all you need to do is weld the bottom, the sides and finally join the top from underneath through the hole in the bottom. Otherwise you may find it necessary to lift the bulkhead for access to cut and weld properly which is a bit of a bind. If the top bit is also rotten you may have to do this anyway but it's usually sound as it gets oily up there and it's better protected as well.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Martin,

That's the one (I think) the outrigger behind the front wheel and with the radius arm in the way? :-)

Will a butt weld be acceptable to the MOT tester?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

If you make a halfway decent job of it and dress it up nicely afterwards he'll never even know it's been welded.

Reply to
EMB

I guess that would depend on the sexual orientation of said tester.

Reply to
GbH

....and that's where my problems normally start :-)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter