Overdrive and Capstan Questions

I have the chance to purchase a 1980 SIII 109 Diesel that is for sale as none runner. My main reason for buying is to remove its overdrive and capstan winch for use on my SIII.

I don't know what brand of winch it is but am assured it is complete and worked when the engine last ran. I have seen some capstans manuals that specify a starter dog for either 3 or 5 bearing engines and some specify Petrol or Diesel engines.

I have a SIII petrol with a 5 bearing engine, does anybody know if there is any chance of this winch being transplanted?

I may still buy the SIII for the overdrive and sell on the winch if it won't fit.

Should I be able to turn the winch by hand when disengaged?

Sorry for being so vague, I haven't yet seen this landie in the daylight.

Regards, Martin SIII 109 Petrol

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

Martin,

I've just picked up a S2a with a capstan winch. I haven't tried to turn it by hand - will do so tomorrow and let you know how I get on - but it is very easy to turn it with a pair of pipe pliers on the shaft that engages with the crankshaft pulley or the one that acts as a starter dog.

According to the manual I have - remember it's for a 2a - both the petrol and diesel engined vehicles have the same drive plate for the winch. Sorry, but I don't know if it's the same for the S3 :-)

I was really impressed when the previous owner showed me the winch working ... it easily pulled a medium sized van backwards up the road with the handbrake fully on.

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

The winch will transplant but the drive dog is different on the five bearing engine (RRC1582 not RTC7015 - different thread). As I also think the actual drive setup is a bit different on earlier models with a three pin drive not a straight dog - this is not in my 2a/3 optional equipment parts book, so it may have changed between 2 and 2a. But the one on the

1980 should fit unless it is a very early one fitted later - the three pin drive dog would fit the 3 bearing engine but there is not one made for the five bearing..

Yes. Even if seized, new bearings should be available.

(snip) JD

Reply to
JD

SG: With the winch disengaged I couldn't turn the capstan by hand - I guess the gearbox ratios might prevent that. It is, as I said yesterday, very easy to turn it via the drive shaft.

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

(snip)

You should not be able to turn it - if you can the shear pin is sheared. (snip)

JD

Reply to
JD

That's a part of the design - it uses a worm screw drive, so the driveshaft can turn the drum, but the drum can't turn the driveshaft. Have a look here :

for some details..

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew