Overheating

Went up the M6 on Saturday got on the Toll road by mistake :( and back again the next day.

Most of the time the temperature guage was just the right side of red, when normally it never even gets past half way.

Plenty of water so that is not the reason.

I wonder if the best solution is to replace the fan with an electric one as presumably the engine don't like being driven close to full throttle for long periods .

I was going to fit a Kenlowe some time ago, until I was advised that the plastic tags that push through the matrix frequently cause an aging radiator to leak, and then if you replace the radiator you will have to get new fixings.

Reply to
Larry

Series 3 should not overheat in conditions you get in the UK without a fault, so you want to fix this rather than try and improve the cooling. Likely problems are partly blocked radiator (air passages or water passages), loose fan belt, badly corroded water pump impeller, soft lower radiator hose collapsing under suction (but this is unlikely if the core is not partly blocked), excessive buildup of garbage in the waterways of the block. Also possibly retarded spark or faulty voltage stabiliser (or faulty earth on it) on the gauge (in this case the fuel gauge would rise with voltage as well as the temp gauge). JD

Reply to
JD

Most likely a radiator past its sell by date full of gunge I would reckon,. However most of the time it over cools not over heats so I am still of the opinion it is hard driving or the fan over working when cool and under working when hot particularly as if I take my foot of the accelerator for a bit and let the traffic build up behing me the guage goes down. No reason to suspect loose fan belt and the fuel guage does what it wants regardless and certainly not in sympathy with the temp guage.

What a series 3 did from new and what it does at 30 + years old are different things entirly.

Reply to
Larry

Sounds like a combination of partially blocked radiator and a thermostat jammed open. Does it also take a long time to get hot?

Reply to
PDannyD

nobody checked thermostat yet?

Reply to
StrangeRover

What about a leaky head gasket? SOmetimes if the leak is tiny, it will only occur under hard riving conditions and not really show at low speed?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

aha overlooking the obvios, I will need to check that.

Reply to
Larry

Stick to the old M6,,, you won't be able to get any speed up to generate heat.

It's a cost v reward thing ;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D