Overheating problem

Hi, just noticed today a little connector that wasn't plugged in at the right side of the engine, some sort of sensor ? Anyway, now its plugged in I noticed the temperature guage on the dashboard is working and going into the red after a 3 mile or so drive, I presume the "sensor" is part of the temperature measurment. I checked the coolant and there is plenty, hope this is nothing serious, I only bought the car last saturday. Maybe the sensor was unplugged deliberately to hide the over heating problem ? Any ideas what the problem might be ?

Peugeot 306 L

1.4 1998 R reg 54000 miles
Reply to
Ian

Wouldnt surprise me. My car came with no brake warning light, and guess what was fixed a few short months later.

Oh, and it was warmed up before I came to buy it. Guess what happened when I turned the key the next frosty morning.

Live and learn I guess :|

Reply to
Chimp

Chances are the temps are normal, but the sensor needs replaced. I would be almost certain it was unplugged deliberately. If it has just been bought, take it back and ask what they are going to do about it. Where did you buy ?

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It was bought privately so I don't have any warranty, I've been googling for overheating and peugeots and alot point to head gasket problems, I hope it is only the sensor that needs replacing. Cheers for the replies

Reply to
Ian

I would phone the seller and ask him why he unplugged the sensor. You will probably be able to tell by his response if he did it or not. Also keep an eye on the water level in the radiator if you have only been using the car for a week. It may well have a blowing gasket, or conversly, the previous owner may have thought it did, which is why he punted the car. If you got it for a good price and if it is a faulty sensor, you scored. I only have experience of french diesels not petrol though.

-- Stuart

.
Reply to
Stuart Gray

if its a blown head gasket look in the expantion tank for sludgy/foamy blackness - If water and petrol are mixing etc then you'll know from here.

Reply to
Tom

You would also often get a lot of water vapour from the exhaust. Just because you bought the car privately, does not mean you have no comeback. How was the car described? It must be true to the description, if not then the small claims court might help you. This is particularly true if the seller had removed the sensor connector to hide a problem.

Reply to
Brian

If its going into the red after just 3 miles, the overheating problem is huge! Or else its just a sensor problem. If its the first, you'll definitely have a case at the small claims court, if the second, you don't have a problem really.

Reply to
Fin

Buying a used car with a none-working temperature guage is a *bad* idea ! If you don't know to look for these things, then you should be buying from a trader.

Head gasket. Blocked cooling system. Duff waterpump. Could be any number of things. Never buy a car with faults, unless the price reflects them !

Reply to
Nom