painting with tekaloid enamel in cold weather.

im going to be painting my tub soon , the problem is i will be doing it outside and its cold out there. will the low temps cause me any problems? ive been told to stand the tin of paint in some hot water whilst painting , is this a good idea?

also i need a primer that i can brush on , i believe etching primer is two part and goes off really quictly , any recomondations for a brush on primer?

Reply to
nobber

I sprayed some of my car 2 winters ago. That was cellulose but i assume this will be the same for tekaloid: The cold weather means the paint takes longer to go off - which gave it a much better finish in my case.

I used generic etch primer from the paint shop. I have sprayed it, but Lee did his with a roller. It is indeed 2 part. I did mine in the summer and it went off at the same speed as the normal primer i used on top of it.

The etch primer is also only supposed to last for a few days once mixed, so dont mix it all at once if you are taking your time over the whole landy.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Stuff we use goes off in a day or less.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

You should be OK unless you paint in sub zero temperatures, cold can be a problem, damp and frost is the real killer. (I won't bleat on about you should only paint in warmer conditions).

Cold weather will extend the drying time and stiffen your paint, though you could add a little Tekaloid fast thinner (TN02) to help ease paint application.

Heating the can is an old remedy but unfortunately only shortlived, this method is more suitable when varnishing because heat will dissolve some of the stearates, though stearates (sediment) is usualy only found in cheap varnish not paint.

What you should do prior to painting is keep the paint indoors for a few days to bring the paint to a natural working room temperature as this will make all the difference and it would be advisable to use two tins of paint, when one starts to thicken with the cold, then you start using the other tin, then put the paint you've just used back indoors to heat up while your using the other warmer thinner paint.

Force heating paint will make it workable for the first couple of panels but it will quickly become stiff (creating an uneven paint film) and almost unusable, whereas paint at a favourable room temperature stays workable for a longer period.

Etch primer is pretty foolproof and doesn't really need any special attention other than avoiding damp panels obviously.

You can use almost any primer including the Tekaloid range of primers viewed here:

but itmay not be necessary to use a conventional primer, it may be easier toapply a mixed 50% gloss 50% undercoat after applying acid etch, primersusually require rubbing down to remove deep brush-marks, whereas glossand undercoat mixed 50-50 leaves no brush-marks and often only requiresa dry flat before applying gloss over the top. Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

thanks Stephen. im going to go the etch primer route simply to keep the cost down. I am painting the 90 caladonian blue which is quite dark , should i be looking for gray primer? and do i need an under coat? i really want to keep it as quick and as simple as possible. another worry i have is i may not have enough paint , i bought two litres from the avenue group and used a half of a litre on the bulkhead alone , i still have to do the bonnet , doors , seatbox , tub , windscreen etc etc. i may need another litre but will i need to mix all the paint before i start in order to keep it the same shade?

cheers,

Rob.

Reply to
nobber

On or around 6 Dec 2006 15:39:18 -0800, "nobber" enlightened us thusly:

I did one coat over the outside of my 109 hard top with less than 2 litres of paint, by brush.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The primer colour doesn't really matter but you should use a blue undercoat with a blue gloss.

If you paint straight over grey primer with blue gloss it may not cover very well and could be patchy and have a grey or lighter tint, you should either paint one coat of undercoat followed by one coat of gloss or two coats of gloss. Coverage depends on colour, porosity etc.

You should mix all the paint together (just in case), mixing the same paint from different batches could result in a slight colour difference, but you may not see the difference, it is best to mix it all together unless its all mixed from the same initial batch.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull