Percy made a big protest today...

Having spent alot of time on the Rangie repairing it from the accident damage Percy gave me a big reminder today he needs some TLC.

MOT time! Having rushed in the replacement rad, got him running sufficiently well enough to get to the MOT station...came to two spluttering halts but got going again.

Into the test station and the protest began in ernest. Headlights... nope... main beam... nope... rear fog...nope.... washers...nope.... horn....nope and to add insult to it 3 rather rusty holes in the chassis.

:-(

My fault for not doing my pre test inspection but 2 weeks ago he was running every day with no problems and he's only done 540 miles since last MOT. The bulk of the electrical problems were down to bullet connectors not being refastened... don't recall unpplugging them... odd! One Headlight had me foxed.. I thought it was a sealed beam unit.. but then I worked out it only had one sealed beam. Saw the bulb appeared to be out on the dip... went to replace the bulb... er'''whats this.... real old bulb with no spade type connectors but two soldered lumps like a domestic house bulb... refitted a wire and it was back going again. Never seen a bulb like this before. I guess it's pucker 1960's stuff.

Anyway nearly all fixed... just two holes left to plate. I think that a Rechassis is definately on the cards before the next MOT.

Still not bad for a 40 year old car eh!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:30:37 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

prolly a lucas 700 headlamp unit. fine things :-)

buy him some of them nice quadoptic ones and a pair of halgone bulbs as a treat, perhaps he'll be more co-operative.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's the old British Pre-Focus holder, sort of twist-on cup that fits onto the back of the lens. Was the fore-runner to the Sealed Beam unit, which took spade connectors.

Looks like this

Chuck em away and get a set of halogen replacements, they're much brighter anyway.

Alex

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thats it!

only mines all corroded... do you think the Landrover warantee will cover replacement?

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I think I may just do that.

I've sorted the welding. Tickover is having some weird and wonderfull effects at the moment. I was getting to the park him up and pull him to bits (big time!) stage when in desperation I gave the harness around the coil a good shakedown. Tickover resumed Jaguar purrrrrr....... H'mmm me thinks a session with the soldering iron may be in order.

I also need to get a set of connectors for the headlamp units.

will the RRC ones fit? I may put new ones in the Rangie for that sparkly .... no forget that... thats what started all this jealousy.. I'll put new in Percy.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Got to admit that halogen headlights is one concession to modernity I have made :)

Reply to
Larry

Just got in after fitting the Wipac Halogen lights. W O W ! I used to think the old dim lights "cute" and part of the character. I switched the new ones on and I could actually see stuff..... remarkable!

Although as a pointer to anyone fitting them having plastic bowls and plastic rings that clip over the headlight.. after an hour of trying to maul the ring over the new lamps then giving up and checking the old I worked out the rims on the wipacs was a tad wider where it mattered on the lip. Several minutes shaving the inner circumference of the plastic ring with mr stanley and they slipped on a treat.

I also reconnected all the coil wires and put a kiss of solder on them. Then reconnected the horn too.

Presently Percy fires up ok.. runs ok. everything electrical is thus far working.. chassis is welded up.. fingers crossed for tomorrow. I've lined up the headlights against the gates having marked up the old alignement first. So I can live in hope. Still think a Rechassis is around the corner but if we can get through the winter then I'll be a happy pixie. Will sort an mpeg of him once the MOT's sorted.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:51:49 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

that's the result I had the first time I did it...

now I have a brace of 55W spots as well as the 60W mains, and I can see enough to drive at 70 mph in the dark.

which of course wasn't an issue with the old SII, with it's 45W lucas 700s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Saw a D90 with a score of 55W spots on it today - lots of little projector lights mounted right across the front of the roofline.

Either this car has a seriously uprated alternator, or two, a big battery dedicated to these spots, or it shreds V-belts when the lights are turned on.

1.1KW of lights on the roof? About 100A drain from the electrical system.

What's the standard alternator on a D90?

For that matter, what's the standard alternator on a 200 Disco. I'm having ideas.....

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:26:20 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

about 65A I think. 300 TDi have a 100A one. However I don't think you can run much more'n about 65A on a single-belt system. The heavier-grade ford ones sometimes have dual belts, or I've seen such, dunno where you get suitable pulleys though. You can probably uprate the belt to a 13mm one, but that doesn't give you that much more power transmission.

I spose it'd not be entirely impossible to put a second alternator on...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Choices, choices.... This is going to be annoying.

2nd alternator or on-board air? I have mounts enough for one....

How was the military generator driven from the 200s?

For that matter, would it be feasible to replace the v-belt with a poly-V setup off a 300?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:46:34 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

dunno. I daresay you might, but it might involve lots of expense and/or swearing, and you'd get that pesky tensioner, and the infamous belt-squeak.

adding pulleys and doing a 2-belt job would probably be easier.

Reply to
Austin Shackles