petrol vs diesel

This may be a silly question, but why is diesel more expensive than petrol? Wasnt it round the other way a few years ago?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Politics.

There was a fuss some years ago about particulates in diesel and so the UK government decided to discourage the use of the stuff in private cars by putting the tax up.

Everywhere sane it's cheaper.

Reply to
William Black

Because it became popular, and the govt then decided they could screw the motorist by increasing the tax on it above the rate increase on petrol under a guise of it being less environmentally friendly as it released more particulates when burnt. (despite for years saying it was more environmentally friendly because you used less of it)

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Having previously encouraged us through lower fuel duty to buy diesel cars because they were *better* for the environment.

Apparently, diesel in a modern efficient diesel car is a threat to the future of the planet, whereas the same fuel burnt in a smoky old bus is going to save mankind from its greed and ignorance. It always riles me that diesel is far cheaper to refine, but costs more at the pumps.

Indeed, although calling the French "sane" is stretching it a bit.

Reply to
Rich B

I think increased worldwide demand for diesel has made it's price ex-refinery jump too.

Reply to
EMB

... is the right answer!

Reply to
Dougal

There have been so many changes to how road fuels are taxed that I cannot keep up but back in the early nineties the EU proposed a europe wide carbon tax on fuels. This effectively hit derv harder as it has a higher carbon content than petrol.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

You are right ! in the fifties is was half the price of Gas !!!

bmc

Reply to
Brian Colwell

AFAIR In the mid fifties diesel was 4 shillings and 1 farthing per gallon. Pool petrol (as it was called but meant crap really) was about 3 shillings and 9 pence and decent petrol was around 4 shillings and 5 pence which relates to approximately 20p diesel, 19p cheap petrol and 22p for top grade petrol, all prices per gallon.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

You're right: Prices in old pennies per gallon, 240 pennies made a pound.

1951 39.75 47.80% 1952 51.00 62.74% 1953 53.45 56.13% 1954 53.50 56.07% 1955 54.50 55.04% 1956 64.00 56.25% 1957 61.00 52.00% 1958 56.33 53.28% 1959 Unavailable 1960 55.83 53.73% 1961 58.50 56.41% 1962 58.50 56.41% 1963 57.00 57.89% 1964 60.50 59.50% 1965 62.00 53.22% 1966 65.00 60.00%

I remember saying I'd give up driving when it got to a pound - a gallon!!

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:09:25 -0000, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

bloody 1.15 a litre for diesel up the road, now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, same in north Norfolk today, but Waitrose at Swaffham were only 106p so I filled up there. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Tesco Carlisle has been a fairly steady 106/107 for several weeks (just paid 101.9 with the 5p off coupon...). Other garages I pass are generally below 110, though I expect the two local ones are well over 110 may even be pushing 120.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I noticed the front page on Friday's Express said petrol at £1.50 per litre by the end of the year, if they carry on as they are it will be before the end of next month!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:48:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

More annoyingly, the Shell fuelcard is going to be 118 next week. Clearly another email is in order.

I was under the impression that the price was supposed to be based on some national average.

Anyone with a Shell nearby, do's a favour and post the ppl for diesel, tomorrow will do if you don't know right now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

51ppl, less 2ppl on my Shell card. :p
Reply to
EMB

If Gordon Brown walked on water the Daily Express would have a headline saying 'Gordon Brown fails to wash'.

Reply to
William Black

Didn't make it clear - the percentage figures in the post with prices that I gave are the amount the government took in tax.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

In message , Oily writes