How do I drain the petrol tank? Series 3 109 LWB

My petrol tank is leaking and I want to empty it a bit more quickly and safely. Can I syphon the petrol out, or is it more complicated than that?

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

Drain plug on the bottom of the tank, I believe. Probably corroded solidly into the tank base, though, so it may damage the tank as you extract it. You'll need something as wide as the tank base to be sure of catching it all.

If not, then you'll need to remove the filler pipe at the tank end & syphon it out that way, as most of the ones I've seen have a filter mesh in the filler pipe which works quite effectively as an anti syphon device.

Reply to
John Williamson

Just drive it round the block a few times!

Syphoning works but there may be an anti-syphon grid - although I can't see it in the parts book.

I think that you'll also have a drain plug - just make sure that you have lots of ventilation, don't do the task over a pit, no naked flames, no making/breaking of electrical connections etc..

Reply to
Dougal

Brass plug usually - it'll come out.

You don't have to dump the entire contents in one go but a wide topped container is helpful: wind is not.

Reply to
Dougal

And if it's one of those pattern tanks it won't have a drain plug, you'll have to remove the tank to drain it properly which is usually a PITA to remove the front bolts. Alternatively you can remove the dip pipe and tank unit which will allow you to look inside and see how bad it is as well as being easy to siphon from there.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thank you all, I'll have another look for a drain plug. All warnings about petrol and flames/sparks duly noted.

Reply to
ChelseaTractor

assuming you are dropping it anyhow to replace or seal - just lower the tank and pour it out of the filler!. worked on my 101!

lowered on a couple of jacks under a half pallet, then poured into a bucket which was then slowly tipped into a jerry can through a funnel (and a coffee filter to remove the lumpy bits!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Remember switches can arc/spark, so don't go turning on/off lights while there's petrol vapour about!

Reply to
GbH