Piston rings, Series Deisel - CLUE NEEDED!

I'm pretty sure I need to renew the piston rings in my 40+ year old Series

2A Diesel Landrover (Carawagon LWB actually). She's pretty under-powered and oil is blowing back through the oil filler tube - spraying the inside of the engine compartment. If anyone has any other ideas as to what would cause this apart from worn rings then PLEASE let me know :-)

Now being over 40 years old it has probably gone through a few rings in its time - so the current ones are I expect oversized.

The big question is.... is there any way to tell what size (oversize) rings I need to buy before I've taken the pistons out? Where might the current size of ring / bore be recorded / stamped etc.?

Any other advice? Haynes seem to show the job of replacing rings to be not overly daunting - but maybe you know better - especially if you've done it yourself.

Thanks Landylovers

Floatything

Reply to
Floatything

Not normally unless someones stamped it on the block somewhere (wot I usually try to do for future refence) once the heads off clean the top of the piston (carefully) and it should be on the piston crown if not it'll need measuring If its blowing that bad then it may need a rebore and new pistons anyway

Buy a proper ring compressor, about a tenner, forget about trying to use bean cans and jubilee clips, feeler blades or what ever You'll get 3 pistons in then break a ring on the last especially if you've not done it before ( even if you've done it before ) And use lots of oil when rebuilding you can never have too much lubricant

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Crankcase pressure = worn rings/bores.

Unless it's been stamped on the engine, or a plate, then the only place is on the top of the pistons. If it's using a lot of oil, and has crankcase pressure, then you could be looking at a rebore, but you won't be able to tell that without taking the head off either.

New rings alone may not cure the problem.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Uh-Oh :-( that sounds like its going to be expensive... I suppose the engine has to come out for a rebore. I'd probably be better off looking for a replacement engine for all the hassle it will be.

Ho hum

Floatything

Reply to
Floatything

Go on. Treat it to a 200tdi.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Provided you can get the sump off and pistons out in situ, it is possible to have it bored without removing it from the chassis.

Reply to
SimonJ

By my recollection, it is possible to get the sump off and the pistons out. Be very careful about cleaning the crankshaft after the rebore. Remember to keep the bearing shells and piston shafts matched.

Reply to
David G. Bell