MOT and suspension

my suspension is a bit saggy to say the least. front has an inch maybe two between bump stops and axle, rear is kept high by the boge wossit but the springs are weak there too. however they all bounce and the shocks work and don't leak.

oh, and it hase a noticable list to starboard.

I notice it, especially when turning right. would it pass an MOT like this?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Coils I presume, don't use them myself :)

Reply to
Larry

It should do assuming all the suspension components are free from damage and correctly seated/aligned, that there is adequate clearance between axle and bump stop and that the suspension unit is not "so weak that the body or other part of the vehicle fouls a road wheel or would do so if laden"

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

As long as the springs arnt broken in any way, then i dont think the MOT man cares about how good they are. I suppose that its up to the driver about how much suspension they want! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:36:30 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

the picture looks level.

if it's leaning when turning right, then it's a list to port, BTW.

fit new front springs, they make a hell of a difference to the ride. did on mine, anyway.

really ought to do the back ones as well, except that I'm toying with the idea of a slight lift, but then again, such things come at a price, whereas the standard springs from Paddock are cheap.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Remember to buy the springs that match the boge wossit. The point of the Boge wossit is purely to allow softer springing on the back. Put weight in the back and the Boge wossit will come into action. Put heavy duty springs on the back and the Boge wossit becomes redundant. The Land rover is so much better with a working Boge wossit. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:17:01 +0100 when Tom Woods put finger to keyboard producing:

well I want more suspension but it's cost you see...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:31:27 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

it's noticable but not obvious in that photo.

port, starboard... bloody wossit, it leans to the left.... ;o)

I intend fitting new springs and shocks all round, original equipment but with polythingy bushes (soft ones). standard on the rear despite the boge (just in case the boge packs up) trouble is the cost, MOT in september.

I'd like a lift but it costs more and my kids have enough trouble getting in, particularly my 14-year old daughter who has yet to find a dignified method of entry when wearing a skirt..

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:57:58 +0100 when "Gmacz" put finger to keyboard producing:

that's thrown a spanner in... I was intending to fit standard springs on the back incase the boge packs up in the near future, assuming that any loads I put in heavy enough to compress the standard rear springs will be compensated for with a push from the boge.

having just had a few days camping the boge has shown that it's still very much functioning after 20 years service, but if it were to fail there is no way I could afford to repair or replace it.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:57:58 +0100, "Gmacz" enlightened us thusly:

good point, and the rear springs for boge wossit ones are about 5 quid cheaper...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:08:30 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

ain't you got steps?

Mind, when i started using mine for school runs, (kids from age 5 upwards) I took pains to get all the steps working nicely. and they all decline to use 'em, I think they reckon it's a challenge to climb in without using the steps.

p'raps she should wear a more dignified skirt :-)

with steps, I tend to reckon that getting in the passenger side, You put yer left foot on the step, then right foot inside. I do the same on the driver's seat, although in this case I put me right foot against the bottom of the door post, grab the top of the windscreen with me right hand, and then swing sideways into the seat, bringing me left foot behind the right. as I do so; reverse the procedure to get out.

with a step the technique is something similar, although easier for the elderly and infirm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:58:36 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I have no problems sliding straight in, but maybe that's a combination of low suspension and me being 6'4".

I don't have any steps, I was thinking about running-boars style steps but they may not go low enough to be much use.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

For what it's worth my 110 CSW leans to the left and has passed the MOT in this condition twice! I also removed my steps 'cos the kids (aged 6, 6 and errr 6) refuse to use them, and I like the look of it without them.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

I also removed my steps 'cos the kids (aged 6, 6 and

A set of steps for Mr.Nice.-That sounds like just what he needs. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

Unusual combination. Triplets, twins and a single, or two of yours and one of hers?

Reply to
David French

Triplets. All boys. The youngest of the three (by about 20 seconds) already says he wants a Series One or Series II landy!

Reply to
Ian Symonds

The obvious thing to do would be to get a Series I, SII and SIII, one for each. Then, as you have a 110, you could get Mrs S a Stage 1 V8 to complete the set. I bet she'd be thrilled.

David French

No, Mrs S. can keep the 110, I'll have the Stage 1 V8...hmmmm, I'd really like a 101....

Reply to
Ian Symonds

If Mother hears you, you'll have an application form for the owner's club through the letter box by the end of the evening.

Reply to
David French

Am I really _that_ predictable?

However, as you mention it... Joining the 101 Club is a good idea if you even twitch a little toward the thought of getting one. The Annual Membership fee of a mere Twenty Quid (BARGAIN) could save you the hassle of buying a dog and may better prepare you for the reality of ownership...

Reply to
Mother