Problem with wife or series IIa?

Could anybody help provide an explanation for a problem experienced by my wife while driving our Series IIa today.

Now my wife is not renowned for her ability of describing fault conditions with vehicles but here goes.....

"Having driven around town for 5 or 10 mins I parked and went shopping. When I drove away after a while it was struggling to go up hill. I had to change down when normally I wouldn't. The engine seemed OK but it was like something was pulling the car back. It just wasn't right! I tried pulling and pushing those funny red and yellow knob thingies - you know the ones joined to that gearbox thingy but then it went very very slowly and the engine made a lot of noise so I parked and walked"

My first thought was that the brakes were binding but having driven the car for 30 mins with plenty of hard braking I can't find fault. Everything seems fine and its driving as well as ever.

Now she got a little upset the second time I asked if the Handbrake was applied, and hit the roof when I suggested it may have been the fact she was more used to driving a modern vehicle.

I am wondering if it this could be caused by transmission wind-up. The kids were larking about in the car before she left and it is possible they could have selected four wheel drive!

Any thought on whether this could be an explanation?

Many Thanks

David.

Reply to
David

David posted ...

Sounds as though she started off with the handbrake only partially released, and possibly in four wheel drive too, then selected [1] low ratio as well .. ;)

And yes, these could give the symptoms so eloquently conveyed by your wife .. ;)

[1] I use the term 'selected' in it's broadest sense .. ;)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Pull the red lever back all the way, then all the way forward. If 4x4 is in then the yellow lever should pop up.

Red lever all the way forward for High ratio normal driving.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ow! The thoughts of her engaging low-ratio while moving. *wince*

If you value your vehicle *never* let her drive it again without a lot of tuition and a thorough explanation of how to drive an old Land Rover.

Reply to
PDannyD

And I assume after he has done that he will be OK sleeping in your spare room?

Some of the lads on the rescue team still drive off with the 110's handbrake partially engaged. I don't know what it is, but if they spot a red light in their own car, they worry, but if it is on the landrover dash they seem to ignore it..

Detrious

The red light means 'this light is working'.

Reply to
PDannyD

Lee_D posted ...

LOL .. wish I'd thought to add that so simple advice too .. thanks Lee .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx