Clio stuttering on acceleration

Went out with my girlfriend in her car last night and she told me that as of that afternoon she had been having problems under acceleration. She has a Y-Reg 1.2 Renault Clio. Bascially some of the time when she accelerates the car 'stutters', it appears to happen at all speeds and all gears and is the same wether the engine is warm or starting from cold. When driving home last night it got much worse and was so bad that she had to stop on the hard shoulder as she didn't have enough power to get up the motorway sliproad! She did manage to get it home eventually by driving slowly being followed by another car.

We checked to see if we could hear something wrong with the exhaust but it all sounded normal and idled just fine and it starts fine. There is plenty fuel in the tank and can't see anything obvious wrong.

She is taking it to a garage on Saturday morning but is there anything obvious that it could be that she could at least mention to the mechanic when she takes it in?

Cheers

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Used to be a sign of shagged sparkplugs from lack of servicing but recently it happened to my brothers car and it turned out to be a blocked fuel filter.

Reply to
Conor

Coil pack problem- becoming quite common on Renaults now- see the dealer - the new ones are modifyed.

If she noticed any flickering of the dash gauges, especially the rev counter then this is definately the problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

You were right, it was the coil pack. Got a replacement part fitted and it's all fine now!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt