Pumping Brakes

Hi Group,

Perhaps im a little slow, Ive owned a S2 for 5 months and Im going to fetch a series three tonight!

The only worry I have is the series 3 needs the brake pumping to stop, the first press almost reaches the floor and hardly stops the vehicle, but the second pump becomes rock hard and stops it at good if not better than my S2.

What should I look for - is this serious?

Many Thanks

Roger

Reply to
Rog

Sounds like the shoes are too far away from the drums. The first press moves them closer to the drums, the second press gives them contact with the drums. Try adjusting the brakes - jack up the wheel, turn the adjustor until it locks the wheel and back it off 2 clicks and check it spins freely. Repeat this for all four wheels. Of couse I might be wrong....... JonW

Reply to
Jon

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Rog

As has been said check the shoe adjustment but I would also go through and do a visual check for leakage of all the hydraulic components (cylinders, pipes, hoses, unions etc) possibly followed by a bleed of the whole system too.

Any brake issue is obviously serious so you can't be too careful.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 10 Sep 2003 15:05:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

if it's hard and as good brakes on the second pump, then it's almost certainly adjustment, but it can be worn-out shoes or even worn-out or cracked drums - no big hassle if this is the case, drums are cheap enough from the likes of Paddock Motors, ditto shoes, and they're not that hard to change.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles tried to scribble ...

Can be a bitch to setup correctly though .. ;)

Had a 'bent' backplate once on front left corner, so adjuster just wouldn't work correctly .. though I guess that's my fault for not checking it early enough in the day .. ;)

Reply to
Digweed .. ;)

Morph when I got him had 2 leaking cylinders air in the lines and a broken adjuster.....now after the 6th night in the frost till just gone midnight having said "I'll only be an hour dalring!" and then eventually for the firt time in years gave up and ran it into Landranger Services just over £300 later all was sorted and I have to say having gone through similar with Percy minus the frost it was worth every penny if only to get my days off back to myself....

Anyway what I started out to say was don't rule out broken adjusters either... that and multiple leaking cylinders as well as air in the lines was what tripped me up.

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

On or around Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:23:35 +0100, "Lee_D"

enlightened us thusly:

yeah, the snail-type adjusters can become ineffective. I recall replacing one on the 110. made it a new snail out of a bit of 2mm plate and welded it on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many Thanks Guys

Have collected the machine now, it did stay constant (2 presses) over a 40 mile run and I could see no fluid leakage, so will attempt to rectify this weekend.

Roger

Reply to
Rog

this has been brought up time after time after time, look on google and do a search on series brakes and youll find every concievable reply known to man.

its a very , very , very common problem.

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Probably just needs the brakes bleeding through but that can be a bit of a pain to do on a Series Landy. Not likely to be anything nasty though if it stops ok after being pumped.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

On or around Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:03 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk (Gary Sutherland) enlightened us thusly:

bugger, that's reminded me of the other job I wanted to do on the 110 this afternoon, which was to adjust the rear brakes, have to do it in the morning now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles