Loud exhaust!

Any suggestions for exhausts? It's too quiet, I need to hear that V8!

Nothing too drastic, and legal, different backbox maybe?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

On or around Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:46:50 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

cherry bombs. Only reason mine didn't get a brace of these, one out each side, was that I'd just recently bought a new rear half exhaust, before fitting the V8, and it turned out that it mated up nicely with a standard set of downpipes and Y pipe.

or remove the large silencer box... if you remove the small box, you get a lot of low-frequency noise, which can be very "boomy". Large box removes high-frequency noise.

this of course is if you don't fancy shelling out several hundred on a sexy stainless big-bore pipe...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

A Rimmer Bros. (mine has the tubular manifolds) does the trick nicely. At lower revs you get that nice darkbrown highway-burble, and at 2700 rpm it changes into a bit of a nascar-sound. Advantage is you'll have an exhaust that doesn't rust as fast as the car... ;-) Running it on LPG flattens the sound quite a bit imo. Anybody knows what's the cause of this?

Reply to
aghasee

Just done the same on my 110 3.9V8, junked the rimmer stainless centre box (way too restrictive) and replaced it with the biggest sod-off cherry bomb I could lay my hands on! Now sounds just as a v8 should, nice deep burble but doesn't boom at speed. Goes a lot better too. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Got a JE 4 tailpipe system on mine - burbles *very* nicely!

Reply to
<metalthrasher

My Disco on lpg didn't sound as good as on petrol when first converted - with ignition advance & retard box fitted it now sounds better on gas than petrol!

Perhaps its something to do with with the standard petrol ignition timing being to far retarded for 114 octane lpg?

Reply to
Exit

Thats odd - the centre box on my Rimmer 90 V8 sports system was straight through when held up to the light before fitting.

Reply to
Exit

Gonna give the dizzy a twist tomorrow... :-) I want all the Israeli's to duck on the overrun.

Reply to
aghasee

Another thing...I always remember AFTER I press 'send'!!

Are there twin systems to be recommended by anyone? The one thats on seems such a tiny bore for a big V8 - and then it's 'strangled' into one tailpiece.

Dave

RR '88 3.5efi

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

I've had a quote for two completely separate systems for the 101, each fed from one manifold and exiting up opposite sides of the vehicle and rising vertically in the space ahead of the rear body, terminating 6 inches above the roof. I'm sure it would look and sound awesome, but we are having a month in Australia instead (and still have some change).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Tim,

I may be wrong, but I thought you had to connect the branches at some point or odd things happen?

Neil Founder

1997 Land Rover Discovery 4.6i ES (with extra bits!) - 'Piglet '
Reply to
Neil Brownlee

"Badger" schreef in bericht news:bjntsc$2i1$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

Err... Excuse me being ignorant, but what's a "cherry bomb"?

Reply to
aghasee

Hmm - didn't know that! As it happens it wouldn't have been difficult, as the manifold pipes would exit next to each other, so an X-piece would have given that effect.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

So do I need the big bore stainless kit plus a cherry bomb then. I've heard of cherry bombs but aren't they backbox/tailpiece? If the centre box is removed what do I put in place and is it legal? Am I being very thick?!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

There are arguments both for and against fitting a balance pipe. Concensus seems to be that it makes little difference unless you have a highly tuned system. I'm going to build one without.

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

Checkout

who sell them (plus much other interesting exhaust stuff!). I'm trying to get them to build a system for my 101 but I need to get them to measure one up first (and mine is in Dublin and they are in Nuneaton). Anyone here with a 101 in the Coventry area???

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

On or around Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:23:42 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

cherry bombs are old-fashioned straight-through "silencers". You know the sort of exhaust note the old cars have? Comes from such silencers...

dunno about the legality thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:34:27 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

wheee-oo... I bet I could make it cheaper... I have some idea of how much it costs to go to Oz...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The estimate was 1600 - 2000, which was the end of the dream. At least for now!

So, you got a good pipe bender then?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:37:42 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I could probably *buy* a pipe bender for that money...

I'd be inclined, meself to start with some standard parts and modify 'em; e.g. downpipes. Do you want it stainless? don't think you can get stainless cherry bombs mind.

In 2 minds over bending vs cut-and-shut, if you can keep the bends out of sight, it's a damn' sight easier to do the latter. And if you do several small cuts rather than one big one, it makes a reasonable curve out of it too. can weld up stainless with a mig, an' all. Either that or put a length of that flexible braided stuff to do the bends.

Reply to
Austin Shackles