Quick Question ( Long Answers )

Assuming that I ever put my pride and joy in the position that she ends up on her side ( the landrover not the better half) what checks should I make befor driving off aafter righting her?

Rory

Reply to
Rory Manton

Start with a limb audit, and then passenger audit and finally a spectator audit. Once these are in order, you can drive off. (Also check for fuel and oil spillage) Jon

Reply to
Jon

I've been there :-)

Essentially anything of a liquid nature should be left to settle for at least 30 minutes, then check the levels. If it went with a bump, also check the electrics (fuses coming loose, bulbs coming out or broken, connectors parted - acid leaking from the battery - beware).

If it went with a very big bump, check everything is straight - especially steering.

Before getting to the stage of putting it on its side, ensure that there are no 'things' which can move - _especially_ the battery.

Also 'things' inside which can move and hurt you (mobile telephones and GPS are my nemesis).

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Spare wheels and jacks....high lifts, tool boxes and other people smart too.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

what checks should I make

That the Story you are going to use for the Insurence is plausible and there are enough witnesses left to back it up :-)

Reply to
Igundwane

Especially brake fluid and coolant reservoirs.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On 300 Tdi's in particular, always crank the engine with the glow plugs out as it is just possible that some oil may get past the rings, and while there will be no immediate apparent effect, the oil will "hydraulic" the engine just a little bit - enough to ever-so slightly bend the con rods which will leave you with a strange slight lack of power!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I've done it. Check oil level, water levels, and battery. Axle.gearbox oil can sometimes be lost, but this is not really the sort of thing you can check at the roadside, and enough will remain in for a journey home. The Acid came out of my battery and I had to get a jump-start. Apart from general body damage, and passenger damage, there's not much to do really.

Reply to
Alex

Friend of mine just rolled his Cournil (Land Rover look alike based on Renault engine, trcuk gearbox, and Jeep axles as sold to Rhodesian police in the 60's) in the Bualwayo Jamboree. He did it properly - nice slow roll onto the roof. He said petrol and battery acid were pouring over him and his navigator. Then he undid his seatbelt, and then fell headfirst onto the roof!

His pasenger took the brunt of the battery acid. He went straight to the toilets to clean up, but by the time he got there, his the acid had done his jeans completely, where he had been sitting in the acid. He had to walk back to the pits with a huge hole is his jeans, showing his class!

Major things to check are oil levels. If any other fluids are missing, car won't run till they are supplied. If oil is missing, car will run till it seizes up!

Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Graham Carter

How about checking the engine mounting brackets ? You don't really want to right it and drive off and the engine fall out ........(Cracks or fractures)

Brev

Reply to
Brevit

Sounds like a pretty good justification for getting a sealed battery (such as an optima) to me does that.

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

Or having a series where the battery is under the bonnet, not under your seat.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I could tell you a funny story about that, which culminated in myself, my friend John and the dashboard of a Toyota Lite Ace van being covered in about 1.8l of dirty oil.

David

Reply to
David French