range rover extreme suspension turrets

hiya,

heres hoping some of you will be able to help me out here,

ive got a 100" rangie chassis, ive cut 12" out of the centre both sides, then measured from turret centre to turret centre and got something like 86 3/4" which since im building a 88" is too much.

a mate of mine says he just cuts 12" out then shuts it up with no measuring, and gets an 88" wheelbase,

so i looked at the rangie chassis diagram and they show that between turrets is 100", ive ended up opening the join in the chassis about an inch and a quarter to get the turret distance at 88", which it is now bang on 88"

can anyone see any problems with what ive done if i just build it from here. or should i cut it open again and shut the chasis up tight.

i think im ok building it as it is as im only going to get a wheelbase at worst between 88 and 90.

this is obviously my first major build and im kinda doing it on my own, but cant wait to get it together, its going to be a shortend rangie chasis with a defender front end series back diahatsu 2.8 intercooled turbo with an extreme suspension kit and a r380 box.

just hope the bank manager understands.

so if anyone can offer me any advice id greatly appreciate it.

andy

Reply to
andy

Measure twice, cut once? B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When i built mine i removed 12 inches out of the center then fitted an internal sleeve, as i didn't want to have an external plate showing. I never measured turret to turret and it seemed to work out ok. remember the wheel centre to wheel centre will change and the suspension compresses, but if you are attempting a hybrid i will be teaching youto suck eggs!

I can go and measure mine if you like to see what the distances are?

in the mean time if you want to have a look at mine try these,

I have more of the build if it will help?

cheers

Gary

andy wrote:

Reply to
Gaza

On or around Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:21:42 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

cruel, but fair. I nearly said the same.

Reply to
Austin Shackles