Range Rover tyre sizes

Is anyone using BFG AT 235/85/16 on 16x7 rims on a Range Rover classic with standard suspension? I've trawled the net and Google groups but could not find a definitive view on whether they will fit without fouling or not. The wheel/tyre combination would be going on what was a 1989 3.9 EFI but which now has a heavier 300TDI engine. It will not be doing much work off-road, other than some rock-strewn, unmetalled mountain roads in Croatia this summer (which is why I'd like to get a bit more height under the diffs). I know that 265/75/16 foul on full lock on my 1972 Rangie, but they are a good inch fatter than the 235/85 ones, although the overall diameters at 31.7" and 31.8" are pretty much the same (compared with 29.1" for the current

235/70/16 combination) . Any thoughts on fit and also on the impact on the gearing? Thanks. Simon
Reply to
Simon Oates

I lent my 235/85R16's on 7" rims to a mate with a RRC when he was going to play in the mud one weekend. He fitted them and had a careful look and measure then took them off as they were going to foul on full articulation.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 11 May 2006 21:42:17 +0100, "Simon Oates" enlightened us thusly:

You'll want the HD diesel front springs, then.

I think you'll find the tyres foul even so, though - I reckon you need a mild lift to cope. Might depend on use, though - at small axle articulation angles, perhaps they're OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They will foul unless you are only ever goiung to drive on a straight flat road. You will need a two inch lift and if going offroad some gentle arch trimming.

Reply to
Martin Coombs

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, sounds to me as if the 235/85/16s had better stay on my 110 for the time being (I don't really want to lift the Range Rover in question to get them to fit), and I'd better just keep an extra careful eye out for rocks on the tracks in Croatia! Simon

Reply to
Simon Oates