Disco II Tyres - exasperating info!

Hello people,

I'm trying to suss out what tyres I can shoehorn onto my Disco TD5. I'm receiving some very conflicting opinions.

The standard tyres are 235/70 R16s. On the advice of Disco2.com, I was looking at 245/75s or 265/70s, which the website states are fittable to unmodified Discos without rubbing.

But two tyre places I've spoken to have said both these sizes will rub the wheel arches, and the max size I can use is 255/70. The same people seemed to think that even with a 1.6" lift, neither of the bigger tyres will fit without rubbing.

Then I spoke to somebody in the US who had fitted *265/75s* to a Disco II with a 1.6" lift and said there is no problem whatsoever with the fit, no mods required. So I'm more confused than ever.

Can anybody here categorically tell me what tyre size they've been able to fit onto a Disco II, without use of an angle grinder and without rubbing?

Thanks, David.

Reply to
David French

I'm running 245/75x16 Goodyear MTRs on a stock DII TD5 GS (sls rear) and it doesn't rub. Minor trimming of the inside wheel arch trailing edge of front bumper may be needed but its not visible from outside and hard to spot after its weathered.

Iain Mac

Reply to
Macca

On or around Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:04:16 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

265/70 is significantly bigger diameter. what you really need to do is to find a suitable bank or such and cross-axle it, then have a look at the various clearances, then you can judge how much more tyre would fit.

You have 2 things to consider, as well, width and height.

you might find that for example a 235/85R16 will fit, since it's no wider, but a 265/70, which is about the same diameter, will foul because of the extra width.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd say that getting greater radius is more helpful than more width. The two occasions where I have got my Discovery stuck were both due to bottoming it out in ruts made by Defenders with their 235/85 tyres (and where staying up out of the ruts had failed due to lack of traction and driver skill!).

Depending on the type of driving you are doing, it may be worth getting the greater ground clearance at the expense of some articulation.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:27:27 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

You ought to be able, in theory, to space the springs down by an inch and get the same articulation, if you can get 1"-longer dampers.

Been contemplating springs for my disco, which needs some, rears especially seem shagged, and have almost decided that RR TDi fronts and HD 90 rears will achieve what I want, which is a bit more ride height and a bit stiffer than standard. Misfortunately, the bank balance looks unpromising for the acquisition of such.

Reply to
Austin Shackles