More tyre questions!

Sorry for pestering but its a hideous amount of money!

I've found an offer for four BFG 235/85's on wheels delivered for £525. The company is Silverline. Is this a good deal? (I need new wheels).

Also, they are offering a similar deal on four BFG 263/75's also on wheels and delivered. Would these fit onto my C reg 90? And would they be any better than the 235's? IE would they foul the wheel arches, and stick out of the sides / look silly.

Cheers!

Reply to
Paul Coleman

i had 255/85 BFG MT on my 85 90 with satandard suspension set up and then did not foul at all..

i will find a pic and upload it somewhere..........

mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

255*85*16

Mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Not bad - I paid £72 each for the tyres only.

265x75x16 will fit easily and are now a factory fitted size on some 90's. IMHO the 265's are a little wide for a 90 and skate too much for my liking on packed mud and clay - the 235's generally perform better on a 90.
Reply to
Exit

On or around Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:12:05 +0100, "Paul Coleman" enlightened us thusly:

doesn't sound a silly price. It's not an incredibly good price, but not silly either. Steel wheels are about 25 quid a pop, so you're paying about

90 each for tyres, 25 each for wheels, and the rest for fitting and delivery, very roughly.

You'll not find a huge variation in price on these tyres, they are pretty close to being top-of-the-range, for the type and size.

you could do the job much cheaper by (say) getting some LWB rims from a LR scrappy, and fitting e.g. Nankang wide conquerors, which should set you back about 240 quid for 4, fitted and balanced. scrap LWB rims ought not to be more'n about a tenner a piece. You could, also, buy some nice new "wolf" rims and source the tyres locally - I think the wolf rims (which'll take tubeless tryes ISTR) are about 20-25 quid.

Not convinced you need to go wider than 235 on a 90. 235 is already 15% wider than the standard 90 tyre. Of course, if you're after making it look cool, then go ahead with the 265/75s, but it might perform less well off-road, except on very soft ground.

If you really want big cool-looking tyres, and aren't bothered about the ARC events, then hunt a deal for 31x10.5R15 and a set of rims. These can often be got cheaper than 235/85R16, weirdly. These will be much wider than you need on a 90, and under some conditions will give you less grip. Good flotation, mind...

Reply to
Austin Shackles