Rangie classic rear window

Anyone got a classic rear window glass with sound/functional heater?

The one on mine, the terminals are defunct - they appear to have been glued back on (WTF?), which of course doesn't make an electrical connection... one of them has now fallen off again.

Oddly, the radio still seems to work - doesn't that use the HRW element as an aerial? Mind, I've not tried it since the one terminal fell off...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Glue it back. Maplin used to do some paint that was designed to re-establish the contacts.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You used to be able to buy special glue to stick these back on. I used it about ten years ago, ran the car for a couple of years with no more problems.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Some do, some don't, I think. Many of the later ones had a separate aerial element in the rear quarter window (or two/both if it was a Japanese(?) spec. vehicle).

Mind, I've not tried it since the one terminal fell off... >

Reply to
Dougal

I once watched an auto electrician solder the terminal back on the window, but it was originally soldered when new.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

I've had to do repairs on my Discovery rear window heater element using silver paint you can buy for just this purpose. A small dab at the breakage point and that line starts working.

Reply to
Otto J. Makela

The ones that do have an ariel amplifier tucked away above the headlining. It usually gives sufficent boost for a signal to be recieved without actually using the rear window element, although the signal is ten times better if the rear element is connected.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:23:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela) enlightened us thusly:

yeah, me too, but I can't use the silver paint to re-attach the terminal. Someone has previous done a mega bodge and it looks like tried to solder it back on, and it hasn't worked.

Unless there's conductive glue, I reckon it's a non-starter trying to fix it, to be honest.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

RS offer a couple of conductive epoxies but they are IMHO prohibitively expensive.

Reply to
JacobH

Coat hanger

Reply to
Nige

On or around Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:18:28 -0000, "JacobH" enlightened us thusly:

I'll have a look and compare with the price of a new window with functional heater. You used to be able to buy HRW kits to stick on, in the old days when half the cars didn't have 'em as standard. Worked surprisingly well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:36:55 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

how the f*ck will a coathanger heat the rear window?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Coat still on it?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Eblag 280237302787 - might be worthwhile depending on postage cost. Or

EMB