Rear Window Defrost and Heated Mirrors on '06

I just bought a brand new 2006 F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 Dually Powerstroke (VBG).

I've looked through the owner's manual and there is nothing in it about the heated mirrors and rear window defroster.

The truck has the automatic climate controls, but I'll be darned if I see a switch for the rear window defrost and heated mirrors. I remember reading ->somewhere<- that both are controlled from the same switch.

I recently drove a Taurus with rear window defrost, so I know what the graphic looks like on the switch, but I sure don't see it in my truck.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

I seriously doubt that what I am about to say is true, but I gotta say it just to cover the ground.

Maybe you do not have those features.

The rear window defrost is easy to check, there should be a heating element EITHER in the form of an applique (sticker) that is affixed to the window or the heating element is built into the glass between the glass layers. Typically the heating element is either orange (reddish) or white lines that are easily visible.

I am not sure how to visually check the heaters inside the mirrors, but if you do not see the heater inside the back window, I wouldn't spend too much time looking for the heaters in the mirrors. Heaters in the mirrors but not in the window would be a very odd way to put the options together. I would expect to see a window heater but not mirror heaters, but I would not expect to find mirror heaters and no window heater.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, it is quite common to have the heated mirrors and no rear window defrost. On the F150, they are separate options. Also if you opt for a sliding rear window, that means you can not have a rear window defroster.

Greg, I took a look at the owners manual for your truck. I would be willing to bet the rear window defroster comes on with the defrost button of the climate control as shown on page 36, button 3. As to the heated mirrors, it states on page 59 that they come on automatically when you start the truck.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

You're both right. Thanks.

The truck has a remote sliding rear window (and so many other options that window sticker lists the last line as "AND OTHER OPTIONS"), so no defroster there. And I skipped right over the heated mirror section of the manual after reading the section on how to adjust the remote mirrors. Never occurred to me to look in the "Mirrors" section, I figured it would be in the "Climate Controls". Duhhh!

Thanks again.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

That's why it is nice to have an owners manual in PDF format. Easy to do searches. If you want one, you can download it at

In the owners section.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

I can't imagine a King Ranch Edition NOT having these options. But, I also can't imagine why the option package that has heated mirrors not include a rear window defroster. I agree that a sliding window won't have a defroster, and this is an instance where the heated mirror might be installed.

PS My BMW Convertable (yes, apples and oranges when compared to a Ford Truck) has heated air that blows onto the rear window, it hasn't got the heating element. I wonder if Ford might use this on a sliding window. If so, then all one would see is the vents on the window frame.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And the ducting to bring the heated air to the back window. Or an electric "heater" installed someplace in the back...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I looked - and didn't see any ducting on the King Ranch. ;-(

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Mixing the apples and oranges again, the duct work in my BMW is burried under the carpet, and is not visible. All I can see are the vents at the bottom of the back window. The defroster, in this instance will blow air that is mixed with the A/C system so that the air is dehumidified, and can clear the fog faster than heat alone.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My point was there is no duct work, or any good place to put it on the floor of a Ford truck, so you would have much more than just the vents visible...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

In Ford shop manual the rear glass does not have a heating option. The mirrors do have that option and they are on all the time with the key on. When it's cool in the shade just turn the key on they should feel warm to the touch momentarily. Is there a grafic on the glass? That 4 wavy, heatrising, little lines with a box around it?

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

Good can you point out the location for that stupid heated mirror wiring circuit, I need to put a switch in mine...

I may see frozen mirrors 2 days out of 365, and the other 363 days the heating just serves to dry the dirty water onto the mirror... This is very annoying...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Gee, sounds like I could use one of the upfitter switches? Been wondering what I'd use them for. The wife already ruled out an onboard electric compressor. ;-(

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Your obsessing dude. if the water is dirty the heater didn't make it that way and they don't heat enough to dry water droplets. it's just for fogged glass. the fuse alone powers ten differant componets and if you were to put a switch in before the splices you would deactivate your flashers trailer tow circuits drl electric vacuum pump break shift interlock electronic shift on the fly. relax have a beer lifes good you have a new toy don't f*ck with it you'll just void the warranty. Wait just a goddamn minute I thought your original bitch was i Want heated this and that well you got it!

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

The upfitter switches are powered, two 15 amp and two 30 amp fused circuits, (If you need some more technical data on them let me know) the switch you need for the mirrors just needs to break the power circuit for the mirrors, so you could use the upfitter switch, but you would have to divorce it from its attached powered circuit.

I've already installed an additional lighted switch into a blank bezel to use for the mirror circuit.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Listen monkeyboy, If you knew what you were talking about, your input might be of some use.

I live in a rather wet climate, my previous Ford truck (non-heated mirrors) almost never had dirty dried water residue on the mirror glass. The new and unimproved heated mirror truck always has dirty mirrors, it does heat enough to dry the dirty road splashed water onto the glass, it could not melt ice if it could not evaporate water, you need to learn a bit more about vapor points and temperatures, before you advise people an the subject...

If you put the switch in before the mirror, it will only switch the mirror off and on, and have nothing what-so-ever to do with the "flashers trailer tow circuits drl electric vacuum pump break shift interlock electronic shift on the fly".

I am relaxed, I don't drink beer, it is not new or a toy, and putting a switch in the heated mirror circuit won't effect my warranty.

I didn't bitch about anything originally, and never would have wanted, or stated that I wanted such a stupid feature, when it NEVER gets cold enough where I live to need such a thing.

You need to cut back on the beers, and pay the hell attention, you are confused.

Reply to
My Names Nobody