RR classic electric sunroof

looking for things to fettle... the sunroof doesn't do owt. Fuse is OK, what I take to be the relay from beside the motor was not attached. This could of course be 'cos it's faulty, as plugging it back in makes no difference; but then again it could be a relay from something else which happens to fit. Anyone got one they're not using, known to work? Or is there any point in trying to dismantle it?

I guess it's a clever relay that cuts the power when the roof's open or something, or when it hits the closed spot, or both.

Wiring diagrams in the HBoL are coy on the subject of sunroof wiring. Not yet got around to looking at RAVE.

what else might be wrong with it? Using an allen key in the motor shows that the roof is mechanically OK. I guess I could just fabricate a handle and wind it by hand; that'd be a short-term solution to making it openable.

I've yet to try testing with a 12V supply direct to the motor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's an ecu under the centre console mate.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:33:35 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

aha. I shall contemplate it further.

none of the sodding manuals mention it at all. HBoL I can understand, but RAVE doesn't have a circuit for it either, AFAICT.

HRW doesn't, either, which appears to be the + side connection to the screen. Someone's tried soldering it...

If anyone has a HRW glass for a RR classic with working element, I'd be interested. I've an idea it incorporates the radio aerial as well or something. Failing that I may be able to persuade it into life with silver conducting very-pricey paint.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've missed the begining of this thread so apologies if I repeat anything already said or if it all irrelevant. What model/age RRC please?

These are my experiences with a 1989 RRC

[1] The sunroof failed because the earth lead from the motor to the body broke at the eyelet. Location of eyelet? Under the roof fixing screw closest to the motor above the headlining! BTW there was no ECU for the sunroof, just microswitches in the motor body. [2] If radio reception is present but deteriorates when the HRW is switched on then check for a break in the HRW element. Conductive silver paint does, IME, work. But, you must clean the break as if you suffer from OCD. And then clean it some more. Use tape to create a paint line. Having applied your paint, use a hair drier - or heat gun with great caution, to dry the paint. The faster you can dry it the better the conductivity. Don't be tempted to test your new repair too soon as the paint will disappear in an expensive and frustrating puff of smoke. A tightly hooded torch shining through each track can make tracing the break in the HRW element less difficult. You can get the situation where a track will be damaged enough to upset the radio reception but not actually be broken. These sometimes show as hot spots which warm the screen faster than the rest of the HRW.

However, if it is non-existent, look above the rear headlining at the middle of the tailgate for a box of tricks that splits the HRW feed from the aerial signal. Made, IIRC, of unobtanium. Maplin once made a kit to share HRW elements with radios but, sadly, no longer do.

Of course, you have checked that the radio does work ;-)

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:52:03 +0100, Richard enlightened us thusly:

The radio in it is s**te anyway. The HRW doesn't work 'cos the plus lead terminal doesn't connect to the screen. Someone's tried soldering it, but it's not connected.

Preferred solution is a known-good screen, unless it's stupidly difficult to find one.

Sunroof is not a major issue, but it'd be nice to fix it. There's some kind of non-trivial relay plugged in by the motor, which is referred to in the list of components but nowhere else.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm. I doubt that the conductive paint will be able to handle the current at that part of the circuit. Worth a shot though before handing over lots of cash for a new rear window.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Mine deffo had an ecu, near the CL one IIRC. Both my 92 LSE & '89 did.

Reply to
Nige

Have you checked the feed to the fuse is OK? I had a few fuckups on the box itself & also the feeds to etc?

Reply to
Nige

I don't think any of mine have had a sunroof ECU. The '92 SE may have, but even then I'm unsure. The turbo definately hasn't.

Most Non-SE Classics with electric roof type malarkey are Webasto jobs anyway, that's what mine has. Webasto tilt slide glass one.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:15:55 +0100, Pete M enlightened us thusly:

I reckon this is the same. It's not an SE. Mechanically it works, so it's either the circuit or a non-functional motor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 6 Aug 2008 21:01:07 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

Fuse is good, but the relay thing may not be - it was removed from its socket, and I guess there was a reason for that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin I am getting a feeling that behind the switch panel there is a connector but more likely is the Sunroof fuse which is a 20 amp, yellow, blade type located on the side of the sunroof main relay it is piggybacked on the relay socket locaated on the steering column support bracket behind the lower dash panel- if you want it there is a 10mb RRC eletrikery manual. Derek AFL cyber packrat

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:04:25 +0100, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but which year? The relays were in different places nearly every year on RRCs.

HBoL has a list of locations, but no circuit diagram for the roof.

sunroof fuse in the main fusebox on the dash, on this one, although there may of course be another one hidden somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

download it mate there are a selection according to years - not that this makes it a lot easier as the overlap in specs at Solihull is nothing short of amazing.

in the range rover vm section (yes I know but VM is a red herring) RRM electrical Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 9 Aug 2008 21:18:40 +0100, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

I'll have a look, ta.

Yep, it's in there. Naturally the 1991 circuit is nothing like it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bloody thing.

Eventually tracked down the location of the sunroof relay, and found it on the opposite side of the vehicle to where the books said.

The relay was missing. temporarily substituted one, fails to make sunroof act, nor did volts arrive at the switch, as far as I could tell. None of the wiring colours match the book, either.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Are you sure you've found the right thing? I suspect a wire tracing kit =

might be a useful addition to your tool box.

stries-3pk-nt023

They do have one for

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:00:26 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles