Re: 4x4 ban in the Lake District?

As a keen water skiier and off-roader I love the Lake District and have been following the speed restriction plans on Windermere for a number of years now. However IMHO the LDNPA stinks of brown envalopes, back handers and out right arrogance. This new proposal is just another example of power hungry idiots wanting to rule with an iron fist. I have spoken to many locals around Windermere and i would say 90% of the local population do not support these proposals.

When will this organisation see the light and appreciate that not everyone wants to walk everywhere, tip toeing between blades of grass!

If this proposal goes ahead it will be one more nail in the coffin for the demise of the Lake District. These are sad times.

Just my opinion of course.

>Above is a link to a news article regarding a proposed ban of 4x4 and >motocross riding in The Lake District, UK. >
Reply to
Jon K

I recall a recent news article on tv recently where they had to air lift a digger to help repair quite a large amount of Hellvellyn (not sure if the spelling is quite right!!). Was this down to us 4x4 users?? No, it was down to those nice ramblers. Yup, them are the ones. And they have the cheek to blame us 4x4 drivers for all the damage caused to the nice countryside walks and spoil it for other people! Mmmmmmm.

Have a nice day,

Luckie

Reply to
marsupilami

I can tell you exactly where it will end.

First it was the boats. Then the motorbikes Then the 4x4's

Next it will be the mountainbikes

Then the walkers who don't have the right 'membership card' (rest assured, an 'organization' will be forthcoming)

Then the 'true wildlife habitat' nutters will surface.

All this will of course be paid for by diverting a lot of money motorists bring in through VAT, road taxes and fuel excise

Reply to
Peter R.

Some food for thought!

If all the green lanes were maintained the way they were supposed to be by local councils, then we'd all be able to drive along them in Fiestas and Peugeot 206's, which would be less damaging! Mixed message here!

Then there is always the 'Unimog conundrum'. Would it be reasonable to go greenlaning in a Unimog? I expect it's been done, and owners would put forward the same defence as we do.

I'm a rambler, mountain biker and I go in for RTV trials - I don't want to see vehicles banned from green lanes, which are only a small percentage of all the rural rights of way.

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

Er, I have done :-)

Although I will add that it was the middle of summer, and the lanes around here were dry and hard. I wouldn't have gone if it had been wet and soft, as it wouldn't have been right.

Reply to
QrizB

There you are then! - it's been done! Nothing against Unimogs or sensible use of them - I was just trying to illustrate a point. I went to a very wet Old Sodbury sortout (when it was at Old Sodbury) where they used Unimogs to pull stricken Land Rovers through the muddy fields. May I add that these Land Rovers were stricken because they were towing heavy trailers.

Cheers, RB. PS, my cat has always been a bit on the skinny side, and has been referred to as the Punimog!

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

In article , Peter R. writes

Sounds like you're wrong there. A report on 'North West Tonight' tonight mentioned that various groups CFRE (which I guess is the Campaign For Rural England) and Friends of the Lakes (whoever they are) want to ban cars from country lanes where walkers are in danger (walking six abreast) of being run over.

Reply to
John Halliwell

That would presumably include the northern end of the M6 then!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Didnt i see something along the same lines about 5yrs ago? perhaps this is not new anyway, don't think we have a lot to worry about, im going by bike today anyway :-) john

Reply to
John Bristol