series 3 temp

Hi all i have just put a kenlow fan on my 1973 series 3 what temp should the fan be set to come on

thanks all charlie

Reply to
charlie

In article , snipped-for-privacy@newsome.bucks.net (charlie) growled:

That's going to depend on where exactly you are measuring the temperature, upstream or downstream of the radiator ...

I think there's probably an element of religion here but to my mind you should be measuring downstream of the radiator (who cares what the upstream temperature is, so long as the rad is doing its job). As to what temperature to choose it's really just a case of picking something in the middle of the range and seeing how it performs, then tweak up/down as required. We can certainly hear our Kenlow over the engine so you'll know soon enough if it's not doing the business.

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Well, the upstream temperature is the maximum temperature, so is the important one as far as overheating is concerned. It could come out of the radiator at 10 degrees, but if it is 210 after the engine it will boil! So the thermostat needs to go in the top hose (which funnily enough is where it always is!).

The fan is only to assist the radiator, so I would agree that outlet temp is the important one. I guess you'd need to ascertain the 'normal' radiator output temperature under normal running at moderate speed and get the fan to cut in when it gets a bit past that.

I guess the real control freaks would want both gauges!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs