Re: 79 Range Rover power steering

79 2 door Range Rover. Well, I got it going (finally!). After changing fuel

> tank, fuel pipes, fuel pump, iginition switch assembly, points and battery, > it started. Bonza! > > Lets go for a fang up the street and back to see what it feels like. "Hop > up Dog". Get to the end of the street, swing the steering wheel to the > right to do a u turn, the dog ends up in the passenger footwell, I'm feeling > a bit queezy, and the tyres are squealing. > > Saying the steering is a "bit light" is an understatement. If I'm > stationary, and spin the steering wheel, it keeps going by itself for > another half a turn(ish).

Thank you for your evocative description. If I'd had a cup of tea I would have spilt it!

Reply to
David French

Aha! I left the coffee in the garage. I knew I'd done something right! :)

Reply to
Macca

Yup. Also took the damper off a mates Rangy, and they required about the same amount of oomph to move them. It's only got 205R16's on it, and they are at a 32psi, so I'm lost here. Could the PS pump be working overtime?

Cheers Macca

Reply to
Macca

In message , Macca writes

Check that the swivels have enough preload - this can lighten the steering (but not generally as much as you describe). You want 14lb-ish with the seals in place ...

Reply to
AndyG

Have you driven his and does it feel the same? Although the steering never seemed that bad on the RR before the new box, the steering with the replacement box is so much better than before. The wheels actually turn with the steering wheel without any delay and if you wiggle the steering wheel whilst driving in a straight line the car wiggles too, and it didn't do that before. You could also turn the steering wheel and you would have had to do nearly a 1/4 of a turn before the wheels actually did anything. The steering on the Range Rover is lighter than it was before. Its better than the Discovery which had a reconditioned box about 5 years ago.

While I think about it, how long would you expect a steering box to last and what factors would shorten its life?

Reply to
Nikki