Re: Buying a Disco for 5K. Which one?

|| I'm tempted by an auto, is the || 300TDi auto too slow?

Yes. And the Td5 is better but still struggles to drive an autobox and a load behind. JMHO.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 1 Jan 2007 02:22:54 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

You can improve the performance of either flavour mind by fitting a bigger and better intercooler and retuning with a bit more boost.

You might get a decent TD5 now for 5K. Last time I looked, the cheap end of DIIs were mostly either defective in some way or interplanetary mileage.

If you're prepared to shop around, 5K will get you more or less the best late-model TDi around, although personally I'd go with a manual in the case of the TDi, 'cos they do tend to have a reputation for being a bit slow with an auto on, although buying a nice low-mileage one for e.g. 3.5K and spending money on a big intercooler and a retune (late model TDi autos are EDC, so it means chipping) might make an auto TDi tolerable.

The DII is a bit better as a vehicle in some ways, notably a bit more space in the back.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire