Re: DISCO V8 AND LPG

Well as posterd a fwe weeks ago my disco is in to have a lpg system

> fitted .IT will be ready on friday just in time for a weeks holiday > .Can any one tell me if there is any thing i know about runing with > lpg > > thanks all charlie > dico v8 > series 3 2,5

It's not really any different to running on petrol. You may experience a slight drop in power, but on the two Range Rovers I have on LPG the difference is so small as to be insignificant. Most LPG systems are designed to start on petrol then switch to LPG once the engine is running. On a lot of them this is done automatically once an pre set engine speed is reached. It's best for this to happen when the engine is not under load so the procedure is: Start engine on petrol, blip throttle to the point where LPG sweitches on, drive off.

If the system is manually switched (ie by a switch on the dash board) the same advice applies. Don't switch to LPG when under load - it may cause a backfire. This is due to the mixture leaning out in the time delay between switching petrol off and the gas getting to the combustion chambers. Rev the engine and as the revs drop switch to LPG.

TRH

Reply to
TRH

As already mentioned there's very little difference in driveability on petrol and LPG. Make sure you have a list of the LPG fuel stations for where you're going and try not to run out of gas. Other than that, just sit back and revel in the reduced cost of driving :-))

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "TRH" enlightened us thusly:

not only that, but a momentary loss of power during changeover can be embarrassing.

The starting on petrol routine is not essential for starting, but it does exercise the petrol system, which is important on a dual-fuel vehicle - if you run on gas-only for months, you'll likely find that the petrol system won't take over when you suddenly decide you want it, cos something's stuck or dry or quit while you weren't looking. On my Ford, which has an auto change-over, I used to start it on petrol the first start of the day, and there after during the day I'd force it to start on LPG. Find out how to do this, for your system, you may one day need to!

about the only other thing is to plan long journeys with fuel stops in mind. To get the best benefit and fastest payback, you only want to run on petrol where absolutely necessary.

will find you the LPGA's listof refuelling stations - personally, I download the adobe version so I canlook at it offline; also check on uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg, and hunt for amessage about map overlays - there's a chap who produces overlays for recentautoroute etc. to pinpoint the stations.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
DustyV

snip

It's

and was updated just a week or so ago.

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

My 110 3.5l V8 is insured though NFU Mutual - no certificate required and no increase in premium.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

Maybe becuase mines a RR Vogue? It's worth nowhere near what it was any more. I think the insurance companies just look at what they cost today! The quote I eventually got wasn't more expensive, it just made my choices more limited.

Thought I'd mention it on here though for anyone considering LPG.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

They changed their policy about 3 years ago, insisting on an LPGA-approved installer's certificate.

Would I be right to assume that yours was first insured with them before then?

Reply to
Steve Morgan

This is a gods-send. We have Autoroute 2002 and the overlay loaded on an old laptop which we take with us on long journeys, specifically for planning LPG stops. Never failed us yet.

Our Disco has three gas tanks so we can carry 125 litres of LPG. Only a diddy-little 30 litre petrol tank though.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

Ours is insured with the NFU and they were totally cool about it. No loadings or special endoresements.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

No problem with either Priviledge or Sainsburys: -I think I got loaded by about £20 and they wanted to see the conformance certificate.

-Priviledge were insisting on a Thatcham approved Alarm/immobiliser (RR Vogue 3.9, and I live in the London Borough of Hackney!!) -but Sainsbury's weren't so strict and worked out cheaper. -Not had to claim yet. -Mind you as an earlier poster said: -The NFU is far and away the best if you can get it...

Reply to
Andrew Spark

I hate to crow but in a former lfe I worked for NFU Insurance and most of the staff that I knew did genuinely take a pride in their work and try to do a good job, unlike so many of the self-serving lazy jobs-worths you find at so many other companies and brokers.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland

On or around Tue, 2 Sep 2003 02:30 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk (Gary Sutherland) enlightened us thusly:

impressed by the cheapness of their instalment payments, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles