Re: L Test

Hi all, a little while ago some comments were made in another thread

> about L drivers needing to know a bit about basic vehicle operation, > etc. > > I've just attended a very interesting talk by a senior DSA manager who > told us that from September of this year all L drivers will be asked 2 > such questions on their test. There will be a "tell" and a "show" > question. The examples we saw on a video, which is being used to train > examiners, were "tell me how you would check the oil level", "tell me > how you would check that your tyres are roadworthy", "show me how you > would check your head and tail lights are working" and "show me how > you would check the operation of your indicators". > > It may not be rocket science but it's a move in the right direction, I > think. > > Just out of curiosity does anyone want to hazzard a guess at the > overall pass rate for the L test? Answers on a postcard to ... > > Regards > Steve G > > remove the nospam to email me >

about time too.

Reply to
Nikki

That is rather encouraging. This is a good strategy for helping people to start thinking about 'what' they're driving together with 'how' they're driving it.

Full marks for an injection of common sense.

Reply to
Mother

I passed mine first time. God knows how my Mum passed hers.

Reply to
Nikki

snip

SG: Highly unlikely to happen. There is a huge shortage of examiners hence the delay in getting a test date. The DSA advertised in The Daily Mail a little while ago and got 70,000 - yep seventy thousand - calls from people interested in becoming examiners IN ONE DAY. They plan to train and qualify just 400 in the next 12 months. The reason for the small number is lack of training resources (i.e. location, trainers, vehicles, etc.) but not a lack of money.

SG: Several countries put newly qualified drivers on a probation period. Personally, I'd just like to see everyone limited to a certain HP limit - rather like motorcyclists (except they are limited by engine capacity). Under 21's only represent 7% of the driving population but are involved in more than20% od all accidents.

Saw one yesterday - indeed nearly became part of it. Young male in a hot hatch pulled out of a lay by straight in front of an artic - and then stopped when the trucker blew his horn. Fortunately the trucker managed to avoid the car but it was close shave. Had the truck hit the car and tipped over I and the other 2 cars parked in the lay by would have been squashed. What was the cause? Driver was chatting to his female passenger instead of looking what was coming up the road behind him! Needless to say he was gone before the truck driver could exact revenge.

SG: Actually DVLA don't benefit from L test fees, they go to the DSA (Driving Standards Agency) but I know how you feel. We are one of only a handful of countries in the EU that don't teach our learners how to drive on the motorway.

snip

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Really? I didn't think they had tests way back then :-)))))))

Ouch! Okay, I was only joshing!

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

My Dad wouldn't let me drive on the motorway until he'd been out with me on at least five journeys on the motorway.

Didn't get to drive a jag until I moved in with Bruce. Before that I only had the pleasure of my Dad's Morris Marina van and my Mum's 1.1 Fiesta Ghia.

Reply to
Nikki

I'm not that old. I passed 6 months after my 17th birthday and have been driving 14 years.

I'm glad to hear it.

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:13:38 +0100, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

passed mins about the same age, but at the third attempt. I don't think the examiner was amused by the ratty flatbed transit on the second one. That and the fact that I failed to stop at the zebra crossing when I should've done. Not that I ran into anybody, or anything, but there was someone waiting at the kerb on the far side (or might've just stepped off the kerb), so I should've stopped. Mind, personally, I always wait to see if people are actually stopping before stepping out on the crossing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Passed Mine March 96, 3 months after my 17th birthday (2nd Attempt).

Started driving for a job Jan 97

Passed PCV test Sept 01 (2nd Attempt - again)

Been working on the Buses last two years.

That means I've been driving for a living all but 9 months of my available driving life.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I work for Arriva. In Luton. Urrrgh. Interestingly, when I took my second test the examiner was pressing me to drive faster. And he still gave me two dings for driving too slowly. Seemed to be of the attitude

- The limit is 50mph along this 15ft wide twisty country lane, you will damn well keep that needly above 45.....

One of these days I'll get round to doing my Class II, should be a doddle after driving buses for 2 years.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:18:39 +0100, Austin Shackles made me spill my meths by writing:

Shirley your instructor would soon be able to judge your current standard and how much practical you need to pass, or is it a mandatory number of lessons?

Reply to
Wayne Davies

On or around Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:02:35 GMT, Wayne Davies enlightened us thusly:

depends where you go, I think. some places seem to do a fixed price thing... finding the right training place has to be a good option.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:53:33 +0100, Alex woke me up from day-dreaming about allsorts of things and broke forth with the following words:

Hehehe

I work for the Same Company, but our Buses are red:-)

I remember that as well, first of all they teach you to go slow, then you have to speed up, like do 30mph as often as you can.......seems really fast in a double decker through some of my local roads in Enfield!!!

Although I do like it when i get the odd trip out of the M25, a couple of our routes from my garage go 'out-of-london' they are a nice drive, compared to a trip from London Bridge via Dalston yuck!!!

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan

Yep, Bendi-Buses require a D+E licence .............

This is assuming you actually PASS the test ................

I had a HGV/LGV 2 for 25 years ..... and considered myself to be trained to 'advanced' standard, as I worked for the Fire Service ..... blue light emergency driving .......... which required an 'internal' 3 day driving refresher/test every 3 years of those 25.

I was privately assessed (and needed) 4 days to take my PCV licence, 2 years ago ............ I was 'lucky' enough to pass.

You must remember that although one may have driving for years and years, you need to be taught how to drive to pass a test (be it LGV OR PCV) rather than how to actually drive the friggin thing ......... big difference .......... then you need that 'bit of luck' on the day !!

As you correctly point out ............ at every twist and turn the DVLA has it's hand out wanting money (Example the C to CE progression) probably one of the reasons (amongst others) there are so many LGV/PCV drivers short, and it won't get any better ........... plus of course the insulting money one gets for PCV driving !!

Also stick with a C if you have one ......... more to unload in a CE and not worth the additional cost of the progression......... unless the boss pays !!

Good Luck !

Reply to
AndWhyNot

D+E could be usefull if you need to drive bendy buses. I'm still not sure if they require D or D+E to drive them, nobody seems to know.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes for Bendy-buses you do need D+E I've got mine because I used to be a mechanic for the local bus company, I now work on HGV's Also if you can get a medical for £40 then you've got a bargain my GP wanted £110. that's one hundred and ten of the queens own pounds for what? 20 minute work, if you can call it work, they test your eyesight measure you, weigh you check your mobility (touch your toes,stretch up high) and take your blood pressure all for £110 that £330 an hour Anyway I went to my parents doctor who charged me £68 and she apologised for it being so much

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

I will second that !!

Reply to
AndWhyNot

Yeah, tell me about it. I can drive an 11ton decker if it's automatic, but not a 4ton Merc minibus if it's manual. It's a deliberate ploy by bus companies to stop employees moving on. They know damn well that most small bus companies run older manual buses, and coaching firms won't take people with auto licences.

I must get round to taking a manual test.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I think that's called protecting your investment, which makes very good commercial sense from the companies point of view.

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:53:32 +0100, Paul Everett enlightened us thusly:

I recall hearing a similar a few years back from the local quacks. 's probably gone up since then though.

wonder if I can get a career development loan...

Reply to
Austin Shackles