Re: Land rover MOT's

I've just rung up VOSA on the MOT enquiry line (0845 600 5977 - got a human being within 1 min!!). The girl on the phone said that the MOT testing stations go by the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW - The top number on the VIN plate) In my case this is 2710Kg - Series III 109 hard top. As this is below

3000Kg the MOT required is Class 4 (ordinary car type). She said that MOT testing stations ignore the revenue weight. Has any body else got any comments on this. Web site is:
Doorbell

thanks for that info , its very usefull .

so it seems that landrover 110s with 3050kg GVW could possibly have an issue that puts them out of class 4 and into 7 if the normal garages dont test vehicles over 3000kg .

i am presuming the STATION WAGON weight 2950kg weight referes to 110 country types , ie with seats and windows - 5 door .

from what youve said so long as the TOP figure on the VIN plate is under 3000 , then a class 4 test applies, but if over this then the vehicle needs to go to a class7 test centre .

we obviously need more class 7 test centres now then .

im kind of relieved becasue i have a 90 , but i was going to buy a 110 instead and to be honest i dont want to have a ton of trouble in where i can and cant take my landy for MOT .

i use a one man owned class 4 test centre close to my workshop and find him very honest and helpfull and i dont really want to have to go somewhere else because i feel much safer driving the vehicle that hes checked over .

i know test centres are supposed to be the same, but you cant beat a bit of personal touch as well on top of it all .

Reply to
m0bcg

"> thanks for that info , its very usefull .

I don't beleive so, as long as to figure is less than 3500kg, a Landrover can be considered a 'Dual-Purpose' vehicle as long as it is 4WD, can carry a passenger, and is less than 2040kg Unladen. Dual purpose vehicles still have a Class4 MoT. The problem seems to be convincing the test centre that it is a Dual Purpose vehicle without ULW on the V5 or the plate.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

With reference to Statutory instrument (1999) No 2864, ( is this still current?)

Under interpretation, part of para 3 b - dual purpose vehicle" means a motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted both to carry or haul goods and to carry more than eight persons in addition to the driver.

So does the new Disco 3 come into class 7 @ 3230kg GVW?

All the best

Lofty

Lofty

Seems eminently sensible to me, I just hope my camper conversion don't break the ramp hydraulics :)

Mind you my limo was plated at 3.7 tonnes and nobody ever called that a commercial.

Reply to
Larry

I think the simple reality is that the numbers mean diddly squat. There is the weight of the vehicle with fuel and the amount of space in the back and on the roof, and beyond that whatever it will carry without bending the chassis which I'll warrant is much more than one supposes. Look at all the special versions and figure how much weight a fire tender is carrying.

Reply to
Larry

"Camper conversions" are a different kettle of fish.

After talking to the DVLA and looking at the MOT rules Any size "Motor Caravan" can be tested as a class 4 MOT

The definition of a Motor Caravan is reasonable and relates to having a bed, table, seats, storage etc

We plan to get a Volvo B10M coach with a Gross Vehicle Weight of about

18000Kg which has been part converted in to a motor caravan tested as a Class 4 MOT.

Finding a place that can MOT it though has been a challenge.

<A>

Well just so long as it is not a bendi bus they must present some problems

Reply to
Larry

On or around Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:34:05 -0000, enlightened us thusly:

I bet I know one. Uses a pit rather than a lift, and the pit is made big enough to do commericals on.

not sure about brake tester, mind - twin wheels on big stuff won't fit on the normal rollers, probably.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just take it to your local truck/bus MOT place - they can issue the approriate certificate - you *must* book in advance, tell them what you want, and it won't be cheap.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I think Lee D gets his 101 MOT'd at a commercial place. From what he says i think its slightly more expensive than normal and quite thorough.

I've had my 101 done at a camper van place. They are the only place i could find that dont balk at its size and know what class it should be.

Reply to
Tom Woods

They can always do it with a tapley.

Alex