SA import Defender 90 2.8i petrol

We have a customer with one of these who thinks she is going to need a cat fitted in order to get through the emissions test at her next MoT.

As this is somewhat esoteric a vehicle in the UK our normal distributors have drawn a blank as to sourcing a cat, anybody got any ideas as to where one might be available from?

To add to the fun, our parts list doesn't even show a cat as fitted as standard.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

I thought that the MOT rules regarding cats were that if it had one as standard it needed one. otherwise not. Would it not be easier to just contact an MOT place and ask them what they use to look this information up?. They presumably have a book and can tell you wether they would expect a cat on the vehicle or not.

Might save you having to do the job! (or do you not want that? :) )

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just to point out that the part number given by Microcat - 2943282 - is no longer a valid LR part number, at least in the UK.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My local dealership has it listed for R3116.59 (UKp 271) but it looks as if the part has been discontinued. They are investigating.

Reply to
Landynut

Replies from ZA-LRO... "its a BMW part presumably the one designed for the m52 motor if necessary i can look at my ones at home and give you the part number but the 2.8 works better without them however - please don't run unleaded in the vehicle once the cats are removed although the vehicle will work just fine its really bad environmentally - all the carsenogenic nasties from the unleaded go straight into the air including your kiddies lungs if they are standing near the vehicle you have to choose either leaded or unleaded and then stick to it.."

and

"Possibly 1740953 and 1740954"

Reply to
Landynut

Are you sure you don't mean "Don't run it on Leaded"?

Tetraethyl Lead is somewhat more carcinogenic than most of the stuff in Unleaded fuel.

Of course, that's all moot as you haven't been able to get leaded here for about 8 years now and even LRP is becoming scarce.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Wed, 18 May 2005 09:11 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@4x4cymru.spamtrapped.co.uk (Niamh Holding) enlightened us thusly:

can't you get one for a 2.8 BMW? same engine, roughly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's not that it must have a cat, but I'm told that the emissions levels are becoming to high to pass the MoT and the test station have said the only way it'll pass next year is with a cat.

Sadly the customer concerned is the other end of the country and even better her pet MoT test station closed down without notice; I suspect that the emissions are actually already at a failing level...

Reply to
Niamh Holding

It's certainly a thought that has occurred to us, however I know there are some S. African folks here and given the origin I thought I'd ask here to see what wisdom might be forthcoming.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

No vehicle has to have a cat fitted for the MOT as long as it meets the requirements for the emissions after 1992 most vehicle were fitted with them as the emission dropped from CO 3.5% vol to 0.3/0.5% vol HC 1200 ppm to 200 ppm

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

just a thought. It won't be in the emissions manual. so does it really need a cat test? I'd hazard a guess that it doesn't, but to be sure I'd ring the ministry. IIRC Suzuki aren't in the book.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

Legend has it that unleaded without a Cat is far worse that leaded. Most of my vehicles are diesel, my S2A has a petrol motor which I run on unleaded.

Reply to
Landynut

The part numbers that I quoted from ZA-LRO are apparently the BMW part numbers..

Reply to
Landynut

On or around Wed, 18 May 2005 18:28 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@4x4cymru.spamtrapped.co.uk (Niamh Holding) enlightened us thusly:

they may not need cats in ZA?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well even that information would be of some use.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

I can say quite authoratively that cats are not required in SA. I know there was a case not so long ago about a fellow who bought an A4 knowing he was about to emigrate to the UK and in the spec sheets it listed a cat.

When he went for his first MOT he discovered that it was not fitted and upon contacting AUDI SA he was told that they never bothered as it was not required for this market.

Personally I would run a mile from the 2.8 Defender. I was the victim of the famous SerS R6 and while there was nothing wrong with the vehicle (apart from the standard Landy Stuff) it became increasingly difficult to source parts for it.

I know that even in SA people battle to gets clutches etc for these and while the engine is basically the same as a 328, it has obviously been modified for LR use, including presumably lower compression etc which would mean different pistons etc. I am sure the intake manifold would also be very different and no doubt the ECU mapping would be completely different.

Just my tupence worth. REgards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

We just get paid to do spanner twirling from time to time on it :)

Reply to
Niamh Holding

The other way round over here. The 2.8 is a sought after commodity in some circles, the closest thing that we can get to a NAS. Also, it is a very reliable motor and popular given SA's love for BMW.

SS

Reply to
Landynut

Haven't heard that tetraethyl lead is carcinogenic - it is just plain poisonous, and lead is a cumulative poison. JD

Reply to
JD

I am not too sure where those circles are, but I certainly don't know of anyone who would touch one.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie