Re: Looks great, 1970 109 SIII

Is that an air cleaner on the front wing? I've not seen one like that > before.

> > Alex

Looks a bit out of place IMHO but who am I to critise (thinks of wheel on

101)

I was however impressed with the lowered bulkhead and Range rover seats.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've got a SWB IIa with a lowered rear bulkhead like that. Had it for

5 years, it was done before I got it. Got standard IIa vinyl seats in it tho.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

forgive me for being pedantic , but isn't that a series 2 ------ dash layout and door hinges seem to tell me that , with a plastic series 3 radiator grill

.......................Smurf

Reply to
Smurf

Yes it is. Specially made to filter sand out in the dessert. This happens in the top part before the air actually gets to the filter. Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Wouldn't the headlamps not also be on a different location if that was the case? Anyone else on this? Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

The headlamps moved to the wings before Series III, up to about 3 years for some markets. All synchro gearboxes also madeit into Series IIa. Basically, the change from IIa to III didn't happen overnight.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Just like the II --> IIa transition was gradual - my father has a II/IIa transitional mongrel that he's owned from new.

Reply to
EMB

...and EMB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

My S2a was built on the last day of S2 production, so it has the lights in the wings, but still the crash box (synchro on 3 and 4 only). Never seen a S2a with an all-synchro box. Rad is S3-type. The lights in the wings were started for export models only in 1968, and only made it to UK models when supplies of the original wings ran out, 1969-ish, or so I'm told.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

People often change wings over to the later ones so you cant generally trust them for dating a landy (he's also changed the grille on that one as it should have a wire one for a 2A).

The bulkhead is a much more reliable method for easily dating a vehicle as not many people retro fit a series 2 bulkhead to a 3 (though some go the other way)

The lights in 2A's moved into the wings in about 69 or so in the UK I think. Me and a mate both have '69 2A's. His has headlights in wings (and a metal grille in the centre) and mine has lights in the centre panel.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just checked. It is a series IIa. Series III started in 1971. On the series IIa the headlights have this position since 1968. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

The other (original one) was found in the back of the car. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Vehicles from Suffix G in theory should have the lights in the wings, but since Series chassis numbers are not necesserily sequential dating is pretty approximate, and depends very much on the market area the vehicle was buit for, and whether the vehicle was built for a patricular contract.

The only definate date is (June?) 1968 for vehicles destined for the launch into the US market.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd