Re: New number plate? Certainly sir, now if I could just have your DNA and fingerprints!

Seems odd, as petrol stations have had this technology for some time to avoid drive offs. Why don't they join it all up - stolen cars would be a lot less attractive if you couldn't put petrol in them! You only need a 'go / no go' from the PNC, and it could fail 'safe'. Petrol station operator would need to be able to override it too I guess.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

It might be nice also to have number plates / VINs recorded for cars that have been scrapped, so you can tell easily if you're buying a ringer or a write-off. Or is that too intelligent?

Reply to
David French

It's sadly a data protection issue, to protect the data subjects.... Or so the British Oil supplies syndicate rep told me.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I know of one case where a car was initially down to be repaired after an accident, then was written off when damage to the engine was detected, but was apparently put back on the road later -- presumably somebody knew where they could find a good engine.

Only thing was, when the speed camera in London picked it up, the official records had it still with the original owner. You'd think the insurance company could have informed Swansea...

Reply to
David G. Bell

Hmm when did this new regulation come in then ??

What if you just want a plate for your piddly little trailer ........... small trailers themselves are not (yet) registered in the UK (I here the EU calling) ......................

Or you just need one plate to replace a damaged one ?? Do you still need your grandparents' parents to come with you ??

Reply to
AndWhyNot

But you aren't supplying any data to anyone. All you are doing is taking a yes / no signal to the pump. Hardly any different to a yes / no from the credit card company (which they already do). The oil company don't have to store the data nor make it available to anyone.

I agree that if you start recording which cars visited which petrol station then you might have an issue. But they (and most other big retailers) DO do that (via the credit card or loyalty card references) - it's the very reason that they issue loyalty cards.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

That would have been nice of them, but these days it's also the responsibility of the Owner to tell the DVLA they are no longer the keeper, even if the new keeper is the insurance company.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I had that rating too, and lost it for medical reasons. It wasn't a change in my health, it was a change in the rules. Then the government told me that if I was driving such a vehicle, and jumped through a few extra medical hoops...

I may be mistaken about everyone needing a medical exam. It's probably worth checking the DVLA web site.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Yup they are officially recorded in the system as "In Trade" if they are sold to a dealer and identified as such. This doesn't count on the previous keepers anymore like it used to.

Traders don't like to book'em as that can't tax dodge on profits quite so easily if they do.

Naughty little pixies them traders :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

There are several garages in Leicester where you have to pay first after 7pm at night. In the less than savoury areas anyway.

Reply to
Nikki

Was that pun intended? If so, it's very good!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Thank you.

Reply to
Nikki

in article bdqdpl$vtm8n$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-160280.news.dfncis.de, David French at snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote on 30/6/03 11:32 pm:

Down 'ear in deepest zummerzet ( Yeovil) all the big supermarket petrol pumps are unmaned but open all night , great when you drift into town at

02.30 on vapours. The police round here also tend to stop Landrovers out and about in the wee small hours just to check all is ok and that it is the correct driver for the vehicle, been stopped about 6 times in the last 8 months.
Reply to
Rory Manton

On or around Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:46:07 +0100, "Lee_D"

enlightened us thusly:

plus it's a pain in the arse if you want to fill the tank, but don't know how much it's going to take. I suppose if you have a credit card, you could give the droid that.

One time I was required to do the paying in advance thing, firstly the pump just didn't come on, then the droid was squawking in the PA which was so s**te that you couldn't understand what he was saying. So I had to walk over (or me mate did, I forget which) to find out WTF he was on about. Overall, wasn't impressed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think the difference is that supermarkets aren't selling additional items in the petrol station - it's a loss leader to get you onto their site. BP / Shell etc want you in the shop - they make a couple of pence per litre on fuel, heaps on a £2.99 sandwich.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Licenses after 1/1/97 lost most of the good things! It wouldnt be so bad if they actually publicised the changes and made it easy to get the extra tests done. You cant tow over 750Kg either, and the trailer test is about £80. Which isnt nice!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Only because so many poeple filled up at em with stolen cards. Sainsburys used to have them at the local, but they had so many problems with stolen cards they covered up the slots and removed the "pay at pump" button.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Around christmas last year... I needed a number plate for an SVA having just finished building a 90. Auto Factors: We need to see a registration document... Me: Sorry can't do that as it hasn't had it's SVA yet and I need a plate to get it through it's SVA Auto Factors: We still need to see a registration document. Me: But I don't have one and I can't get one until it's been tested. Auto Factors: We still need to see a registration document.

Me: Look, you've got my passport, a recent utility bill and my drivers license, the SVA people have given me a new registration number and are expecting to see the vehicle with the registration number next week, after which time I can send off to the DVLA for a new registratiuon document. Surely you can make up a couple of plates ??? Auto Factors: We still need to see a registration document. It's the new rules you see...

Eventually I had the SVA without plates and had to wait over a month for a registration document so I could get some plates made and get the vehicle down to the MOT station. Since that time they have amended the rules so you can now get a form from the SVA people that is acceptable and is listed on the "list of requirements" that each plate maker now has.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

I was wrong. It's only free if you change any of the details, like address.

Reply to
Mother