Mondeo - rear number plate

I hope someone can help here!

I want to renew the rear number plate on a '99 1.8 LX hatchback. Such a simple task - not! It looks as if it's held by screws or nuts from inside, so my first problem is trying to remove the tailgate internal trim. I've removed all the screws, but it's still held fast by something. What am I missing? I can pull it back just far enough to see (but not reach) what look like hexagon headed bolts that hold on the number plate. Sorry if these are stupid questions - in the past I've done just about every mechanical repair (engine and gearbox rebuilds included) but this one has beaten me!

Regards

-- John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)

Reply to
john

Why not snap the old one off to verify? If there are no visible nuts/bolts on the top, it's almost certainly held on with double sided sticky pads.

I've heard dental floss is good for removing these when they're used to stick on badges.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It's definitely bolted on. On the outside, there seem to be very rusted countersunk screw heads with yellow/black plastic washers underneath, perhaps with socket recesses (but too corroded to get a socket in).

The big problem is getting the tailgate trim off. After removing all the screws (Haynes) it will only pull away a little - something else is holding it back. I can prise it back just enough to see the deep nuts on the inside, but can't reach them.

-- John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)

Reply to
john

IIRC, they go into captive nuts on the tail gate. But in true ford style, they'll be rusted solid, so you're probably better off grinding the old bolts flat, and using some double sided tape to stick the new plate on.

Reply to
M Cuthill

( snipped-for-privacy@coedana.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They're almost certainly just self-tappers.

Butcher the remains of the caps out from under them then get a pair of molegrips on the mortal remains of the screw heads.

Reply to
Adrian

Number plate theft is pretty common now (for the purposes of avoiding congestion charge, speed cameras etc.) so I'd rather strongly advise NOT just using sticky tape/pads. As well as sticky pads I would put some screws in with plastive caps over them. Even if they are not doing much in the way of holding the number plate they will discourage anyone thinking of nicking the number plate.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett