Re: Removing Fan/Viscous from water pump - 1987RR

According to my workshop manual, a 200TDi engine does indeed have a left hand thread on this nut, but to stop the pulley rotating as you try to undo it there is supposedly a hole you can stick a bit of metal [eg: a drill bit] in to lock it up.

--> Greg

How the hell do you remove the left had thread nut on the front of the water > pump that is holds the fan/viscous unit on?? > > I have tried everything. Even went out and bought an inch and a half spanner > for it instead of using an old whitworth one that sort of fitted........ > > Still cant stop the pully turning. I dont want to put to much weight on it > in fear of snapping the impellor off from the pump. > > > What does everyone else use???? Any ingenious ideas??? > > > Mark > >
Reply to
grege

I assume it is a lefthand thread upon the assumption that the nut would tighten in the engine rotation direction, therefore it is a left hand thread.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

No, you misunderstand the one I took off WAS right hand thread. It is not necessarily a left hand thread just because you think it should be. Never assume. Check! Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker