Broken Bolts in water pump

Hi

Any ideas of how to remove broken bolts from the water pump bit on the timing cover.......

3 of the bots have snapped while being undone. One has a stud of about 1 cm sticking out, but the other 2 are completely flush.

How can i remove these??

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Is it ok to use a hose as the engines still fitted? We've got a water meter, how long will it take to erode the old bolt?

;-)

Sound advice.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Alex writes

... or assuming there's a little bit of 'stud' exposed ... a tip passed to me but I've never had need of it (fingers crossed etc etc).

Get a nut that'll near enough fit the stud that's left and puddle weld it (with a mig and inside the nut obviously) to the stud fairly well. The weld gives another 'head' to put a spanner on for another go and the heat of the welding helps break the corrosion on the thread. I'd also go for smacking the 'assembly' using sensible force and a hammer before trying to undo it - a tip for any bolt that appears to be tight in aluminium, it works wonders.

If it fails, resort to drilling it out ...

Reply to
AndyG