Re: V8 tappets

If I bought a 1984 V8 110 a year ago and a tappet or two was a little

> noisy, and if the general advice I received was that I should remove the > rocker covers, take off the oil feed pipes (whatever they are) and clean > them out so the tappets quietened down, and that if I didn't do this > quickly the cam would be damaged, and if I ignored that advice until > today, would it be too late to do the pipe cleaning thing, or are the > cam lobes knackered now anyway, so it wouldn't get quieter, so I needn't > bother? > SNIP >

I found this regime effective. Change the oil every 3000 miles Use a decent 20-50 (not supermarket, I used Duckhams for the older engine) Use a flushing additive whilst warming the engine prior to draining the oil. In my case , I think the flushing removed any build up of clag. Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

On or around Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:59:05 +0100, "Graeme" enlightened us thusly:

This is the next job on mine. in particular, there's a lot of wear in the end rockers.

did you change the rockers as well? On mine, it seems as though almost all the wear is in the shafts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

removed the new

colourful

Smarties

Yup - I just did the whole lot, cam, tappets, rods, timing chain etc etc as the engine sounded like a diesel and I figured it would be a waste of time to , say, fit a new cam, reassemble and then find that a lesser item like a rocker or a rod was worn - came to about £250 in parts all together and the best thing that I ever did to the engine - purrs rather than clanks now

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Just very occasionally I get some tappet rattle from mine (3.9) when I start it up. As I say it's only once in a blue moon that it happens but does anyone think it's something I should look at now or maybe wait until it gets more frequent?

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG