Re: Woe is me .... now my Freelander need a NEW ENGINE :(

The 1.8 engine in the Freelander is well known for this problem. Where I work (an independent 4x4 garage) we've seen many cases of head gasket failure. Next door to our workshop is a landrover main dealer, the freelanders are a running joke with the neighbouring technicians. A couple of months ago I was discussing a 2nd head gasket failure on the same vehicle with the workshop manger from next door, his reply was interesting - they had a freelander currently in their workshop, they had given up changing head gaskets, the vehicle was on its 3rd new engine................... Not forgetting the IRD units that self destruct, they rear tyres that drag and the water ingress in the back door....................... Don't get me wrong, I currently own 2 90's and 6 Range Rovers but I sold my Freelander!

Good luck

Lee

Yep...here I go again....just these Easter holidays gone...I had the head > gasket replaced on my '98 1.8lt Freelander .... had now family car for the > whole holidays...a real incinvenience it was...not to mention the bloody > bill I got too.... > > > NOW...the car starts running a little rough... and then starts to blow grey > smoke .... so I immediately take in back to ULR .... and tell them to sort > it out AGAIN.... > > > Got a call yesterday...saying now it's cylinder 2 that's leaking water ninto > it...AND...it's not just a head gasket again...but this time it's a cracked > cylinder !!! > > > AND....NOW I need a whole NEW ENGINE .... and it'll cost ME...around $9,000 > !!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > My Freelander has only just ticked over 50,000 kms ..and has had every > service done ...by the book ! > > > SO I told LR...that if they don't cover this.. ( since it is a well know > manufactuer's design fault )..I'll be getting my lawyer onto this...and I'll > go to the press about it too....since this is obviouisly not the first time > this has happened ! > > > Anybody care to comment on this...as to what they'd do ? > > > > -- > > Cheers, > > O > [III\ > /""III ""\ > / III \ > snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au > > >
Reply to
Lee Argyle

Do you think I have any claim, as to the cause of this new problem...being a result of the last head gasket replacement...and failure ?

Reply to
Hi-Soft

Sad really, isn't it, that having saved the Land Rover 'Marque', the Freelander is still such a crap motor?

For so little, this car could have been so much.

IMHO and all that.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:57:51 +0100, Mother < "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net> enlightened us thusly:

though of course there are better engines in 'em now, although I think the

1.8 HOS still gets fitted. TD4 is supposed to be the bees knees, although personally I rather fancy a V6 one...

and it still IMHO looks better than the atoyot or hodna offerings.

new BMW X3 in the latest CAR mag, not over-impressed with the looks. Wheels look too small, apart from anything else.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The ES TD4 models I played with were very good. Most of the horror stories on here seem to be 1.8 petrol problems. I know that the early models had build problems, but apart from some cheapy plastics the quality of the later models seems very good. Certainly no rattles or squeaks, nothing fell off and the engine / drivetrain was second to none. Only a couple of hundred miles on the clock though.

The facelift in a few months should up the ante on the 'perceived quality' front as well. I think the Freelander may be yet another British car (well, mostly) which ends up being very good, but remains tarred by the dodgy earlier models.

I still want one (but it cannot be)....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs