Re: Oil Filter Adapter (woe is me)

same filter, or different filters?

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

> Dog-gone strangest thing here. I musta peeved the ACVW gods. (Joey, did > you put a hex on me?) > > I can't keep the oil filter from leaking at the seal. I've tried two > adapters (thought the first had a microscopic hole) and three filters (two > HP1 and one Amsoil). All combinations leak at the same place: around the > seal. About on ounce per minute in a steady, slow 'weep'. It's a > full-flow system, running Kendal 20/50. The warmer the engine gets, the > worse the leak. Yea, I've got the hoses on right. Pressure is 78 pounds on > the block. > > I put on the filter the same way I do with every car, including the'58 VW: > wet the seal with a little oil, screw in hand tight, then a turn 3/4 more, > and back off one-eighth. It leaks. Trying a lighter or tighter fit does > not help. In fact, the tighter I make it (last desperation step), the > worse the leak (of course.) > > Not to worry, I'm not giving up. Will remove mount and lay it on the > ground and run it to see if I'm distoring the fit somehow through the > mounting bolts, and then taking both to a machine shop to see if somehow > the surface isn't perpendicular to the screw-on. But I do really think the > ACVW god said "Stafford, you putz! I'm going to make the simplest little > thing kick your butt!" > > What goes around, eh? :)
Reply to
John Connolly

Make sure the adapter face that mates with the filter rubber ring is smooth and straight. Sometimes it has cast flash or something. Depends on manufacturer I guess. Your situation sounds weird, never seen it that bad. The filter stayed on tight?

Jan

John C>

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hi, Jan. The surface was machined flat and clean. The rubber rings (3 filters) are good. It stays tight. This is a big mystery. I took one of the filter mounts and ran it over wet grit 240, then 400, then 600 then rouge - all the time using the flat glass I use for optics. All it did was polish the surface evenly, so the machining was true, just as I thought it was. I'll try the polished version tonight. Yeah, counter-intutive but ... who knows? Gotta be some Bad Karma for 'cause the science isn't working out.

Reply to
J Stafford

Well taken. Nobody who hasn't met me can appreciate that humor. I'm the guy that used to whack the carnival grip meter to the max. Genetics and years of being a construction framer gave me a big build. I used to 'kick' start my Harley with my arm. From the seat! Once I even arm wrestled the Iowa State Champion Arm Wrestler. ONCE! Gawd, I thought he'd ripped my arm out, but I lasted ten seconds. But that was then... aw, I don't even want to think of how long ago that was but I still got enough to at least twist a friggin filter.

Really, I'm a shadow of my former self now. So when are you coming over to fix this damned thing, Travis? Bring Southern Food. It will totally freak out the ScandaHoovians here. (These wierdos make cookies out of blood! Eeeeeoooo.)

Reply to
J Stafford

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:45:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

I once arm-wrestled "the champ" of some division of the army when I lived in Fayetteville, next-door to Fort Bragg. He showed up at the bar I used to hang out at nightly with some buddies of his and they were all running off at the mouth. I took them up on their challenge and was able to keep him from putting my arm down for about 5 minutes, all the while continuing to drink beer and blowing cigarette smoke in his face. heh heh. I was told afterwards by him that I had "good-ol'-boy strength" and he and his friends bought me a few beers while I dusted them off in a few games of pool. But that was "back in the day." I barely have the strength now to rack-mount a 220 pound switch over my head by myself these days. :-P

Yeah, I know. I've seen you dish it out and take it so I knew you could take some ribbing or I wouldn't have poked fun at you. Ah, hell, who am I kiddin'? I would've done it anyway.

Not anytime soon. Apparently I'm getting old. Something's up with my left knee now. Can barely hobble to the 'fridge for a whiskey and coke drink, much less go spin a filter on for you and your kick-start-a-Harley-with-your-arm self. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit about the knee. Maybe we all exaggerate a little from time to time. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Five minutes? Okay, you win. Don't pick on me now.

I don't believe it. Yer trying to build my confidence so you can _crush_ me. :)

Flash from the past: Oxford, England. I'm home after a big night with my friends, stumbling and crashing about downstairs and me darlin cries out from upstairs "John! What are we up to down there!" I answered, "Dizzy, me love, I'm home with a barrel of Guinness!" She said "Wul, love, put it down and come to bed now." "I can't" I replied "it's in me tummy!"

Really. Her name was Dizzy. And now I'm living with Molly McGuire. Never learn.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:05:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Mmm.... Guiness.... *drool*

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

.................Pick me up along the way Travis. I can't even get good cornbread at the freaking Cracker Barrel up here. My fellow northerners always add sugar and flour..............blech!

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:18:17 -0400, "Tim Rogers" , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

To cornbread? Really? I've been exposed to the atrocities of sugar on grits before, but nothing as extreme as sugar AND flour in cornbread. I have to tell you that if it has sugar and flour in it then it is NOT cornbread, no matter what they tell you. Tell them to substitute cracklins for the sugar and jalapeno peppers for the flour and they'll be onto something. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

...last mount I did I unscrewed the center threaded piece and sanded the mating surface with solvent and 400 paper on a piece of glass....it just didn't "look" like it'd seal well "as is"

...Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

vaseline...Don't scoff, it worked on mine.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

On your what?

Anywho - turns out the problem was a crappy NPT fit. I used lots of loctite 518 this time (yea, just as JC and Jake suggested.) Once again, how stupid can I get? Not enough sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reply to
J Stafford

"Dennis Wik" wrote

Yeah, but John was referring to his oil filter. :o)

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

LOL

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

Gareth,

I ran into the same problem several years ago on a friend if mines filter. Check and be sure that the threaded nipple that the filter screws on to is square with the surface that the filter gasket seals against. You can polish everything to a mirror finish and if it aint square, it aint sealing. Some of these parts are made in China or Tiawan where thier quality control is a little ??? I have a machine shop and I indicated on the threaded nipple and then machined the gasket surface, which wasn't even close to being square. In other words the filter was screwing on at an angle and would not seal. Good Luck

Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Ah yes, vaseline. It is also great a great lip balm for your best friends. I actually was talking about rubber seals and rings. Last month I had the same problem with an oil filter myself and good ol' vaseline sealed it. It also seals o rings on pumps and air shocks and about anything else you might be tempted to do. My main shop tools are duct tape, silicone, vaseline, and urethane foam.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Every suggestion is good, but I'm not quite that stupid. :) But how would you know by my posts? Sincerely, thanks for the input.

jjs

Reply to
J Stafford

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:03:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) ran around screaming and yelling: