Recovery - Hi Lift - No, Winch - No, Peble -Yes!

What the hell are they doing!

First of all, some dork standing on the bonnet, adding weight to the wrong end.

Then someone high-lift jacking it up and up and up pointlessly until it collapses.

Then someone puts a bit of wood down so he can drive further onto the rock...

I was screaming at the screen. Not recommended for the easily flabbergasted.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

How/why did they get it there in the first place

Very clever winching the rear sidewards.

Grey matter sadly lacking it seems!

Reply to
Dougal

I was speechless.

So many people, so few clues.

Reply to
EMB

Probably tying it to see if the vehicle would slide off the rock. Worth a try.

The only mistake there was not going high enough! Jacking up with a hi lift and pushing over is standard procedure for getting out of ruts, pushing over/off rocks. Just remember not to go backwards as it might go through the radiator, though the bonnet usually stops that.

So he drove on to it, got enough clearance to get rock under the other wheel and drove out. No problem.

Richard

Reply to
beamends

Enough people to give the damned thing a shove backwards, I helped shove a truck out of deep mode once, four of us were enough to make the difference and that truck wasn't badly stuck from the look of it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Given that it was stuck on the axle on the rock, adding weight on the front wouldn't help, adding it on the back maybe.

I know about using it to get out of ruts, but jacking on a solid curved surface, using a bendy bumper, not so good.. And tipping backwards would cause the jack to foul on the bodywork as you say. I've used a towhitch on the rear with the jack angled under the truck to pull a truck directly backwards, which can work if you're careful to avoid being flattened or the handle fouling on the ground.

Jacking it up high on an already-high obstacle though is damned dangerous, the angles get to great and the stored energy starts getting scary, as they found out.

It looked to me like he drove onto the wood to try and get off, and the rock being shoved under the wheel was something tried by someone else, if there was as much of a plan as you seem to think I reckon they'd have used the high-lift to jack it up a few inches then shoved rocks underneath.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Deep mode? What am I on about, must be daydreaming about a 40ft snorkel and deep-river wading again...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Since he managed to jack it up several inches in the first place I would have thought the smart money would be on shoving some rocks under the wheels lowering onto them and reversing off . Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:23:39 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

wot a bunch of plonkers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Agreed, the 'recovery' is s**te, and was potentially lethal, but why should it have needed recovery? Poor driving, IMHO, no need at all to go over that rock.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

That's what I thought when I saw it. I think it was a case of "I'm going to take the hard route - because I CAN". Clearly he couldn't!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Yea, but that wouldn't have made such a video!

Reply to
GbH