Reliability Survey

Lets have a bit of fun with a competition ...

What variant of the Landrover engine lasts the longest ?

Reply with your engine type and mileage and I will publish the results in a few days.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

It's going to be 200/300Tdi I reckon. Mines (200) done 230,00, but thats' nothing. You'll need to start at 350,000 for them!

Cheers Richrd

Reply to
beamendsltd

1984 2.5 n/a diesel, 228500 miles and counting.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

1986 110 3.9 diesel (Australian special - Isuzu 4BD1) 390,000km still going strong, expecting to overhaul around 500,000km, as this is about normal for this engine. JD
Reply to
JD

with a competition ...

My 200 is just under 200k miles - a mere youngster by the sound of it! TonyB

Reply to
TB
1970 vintage 2286cc diesel - 420,000 miles (give or take a few)

Regards

Steve G

Stuart Adair wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

Mileage is not a reliable constant unless the vehicle spends most of its time consuming miles if you see what I mean.

Mine has 'only' covered 125,000 in twenty years but all of short journeys, the majority of a mile or less. Also a fair amount of heavy [three ton plus] towing between two farms around five miles apart on steep roads. It is an '84 2.5 naturally aspirated diesel. Corrected to road mileage my Toyota has covered something over 80,000 miles for only 2500 hours. Compare this to 'old dependable' below.

The 110 diesel has covered an amazing [and fairly accurate] 10,400 hours or a corrected 332,000 miles with quite some life left in it yet. Original engine and gearboxes with no failures of these components.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Phew. Original oil? TonyB

Reply to
TB

Any rebuilds or engine changes to this vehicle? History known from new? This is good going for this engine even with two rebuilds and therefore being in its third life. Outstanding if completely original.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:07:01 GMT, "SteveG enlightened us thusly:

not mine, but I know a chap who had a series I from about 1952 with 450K plus miles on it. dunno if he's still got it, or if it's still running.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:04:18 +0000 (UTC), "Stuart Adair" enlightened us thusly:

tempting fate, I suppose. Mine's got about 150 miles short of 100K on it at the moment, and appears to be sound. More than can be said for the gearbox.

3.5i hotwire in a disco.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Discovery 2.5 tdi 7 seater 1993 - 133339 miles, however has had a new clutch and gearbox at 124000.

Andrew Renshaw

My Friends SerIIIS fitted as standard in South Africa with the ADE 3.9l 4cyl covered 800 000km before it was first overhauled.

My 300Tdi Blew up at about 150 000km and again at about 170 000km. Hopefully it will go for a while now.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

results in a

Reply to
dyoungm

My wifes Kadett 1.6 made 377310 km before the engine died; first clutch, no big trouble, besides from stuff like water pump, new ignition cables and such.

Does this one also count? :-)

Back to Land Rovers, we expect the defender to double this mileage...at least... *g*

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Sun Roofs exploding!! Could be crows deliberately dropping stones, when I worked in Milton Keynes we had a number of sunroofs, rear screens on hatchbacks breaking, I got a small but very deep indentation on the roof of my Volvo 740 estate. We discovered crows picking up stones and dropping them on cars and people.

We watched a chap get out of a van, a stone dropped on his shoulder, he picked up the stone and threw it at a crow that had just landed on the grass. The crow picked up the stone and dropped it on the van after the chap walked away.

Incidentally I sold that Volvo in April 1998 with 252900 miles, (head gasket changed at 196000, still original clutch no other major problems) according to MyRAC Car Data Search it is still running, last changed hands

18-Oct-03

So why do I drive a landrover?

Reply to
GerryNutoLR

Because you don't care if a crow drops a pebble on it.....

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

'97 300Tdi 110 which covered 143,000miles with the AA. Had a new head gasket and clutch while with them.

I've taken it to 156,000 and have replaced both front disks, both calipers, CV on nearside and wheel bearings on near side rear. I now have a new vacuum pump to fit when I get a spare round tuit. The old one still works but is noisey.

Reply to
Simon Barr

The original question was about the engine, so I answered this, but others are mentioning other problems. Problems other than engine:- Gearbox overhaul, transfer case overhaul, replace rear springs, all shocks, reline brakes, steering box, fuel tank, alternator overhaul (Nippon-Denso not noticeably better than Lucas), front diff centre replace with four planet type (front diff does not stand this engine too well), replace seal at rear of transfer case (twice, & it needs doing again), new rear prop shaft, swivel seals, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, clutch master & slave, replace all suspension bushes (lower link four times!), replace ball joint, one wheel split for no apparent reason, brake pipe rubbed though against fuel line. Probably other problems I can't remember. JD

Reply to
JD

Definitely not :-)

Regards